Roasted pumpkin seeds in the mash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hume-ulus

Reaction score
I roasted pumpkin seeds on Sat. They taste great and I thought they would add alot of flavor if they dont impart some screwed up protein or something else. Have any of you ever used toasted/roasted seeds in the mash?
Thoughts?

I have made a few beers with toasted hulled pumpkin seeds, I buy them from my local Sprouts store, I get the raw hulled pumpkin seeds and toast them up on my stove in a dry cast iron skillet, cool them down, and I run them through the mill with my other grains, it imparts a really nice toasty nutty flavor to the beer, and with no odd flavors or head retention issues that I have noted yet.

I use about 8 oz in an average 5 gallon batch, so far, they went into 2 batches of ESB, one Pumpkin spice beer, and a stout. all fantastic!

I have made a few beers with toasted hulled pumpkin seeds, I buy them from my local Sprouts store, I get the raw hulled pumpkin seeds and toast them up on my stove in a dry cast iron skillet, cool them down, and I run them through the mill with my other grains, it imparts a really nice toasty nutty flavor to the beer, and with no odd flavors or head retention issues that I have noted yet.

I use about 8 oz in an average 5 gallon batch, so far, they went into 2 batches of ESB, one Pumpkin spice beer, and a stout. all fantastic!

I know it's been a while, but do you remember if the toasted pumpkin seeds imparted a pumpkin seed flavour, or a nutty/toasty flavour that doesn't specifically taste like pumpkin seeds?

Back