Roasted coconut

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bassassassin772

Reaction score
So I had a Brown Ale with Roasted coconut in it from Kona Brewing Co. I am going to brew a Brown Ale and was wondering First do i really need a secondary or can i toss some roasted coconut into the primary after fermentation? Second how much coconut should i use for a 5 gallon batch

You can just put it in primary after fermentation. If you are using a carboy GOOD LUCK because you'll have a layer of coconut flakes floating on top of and in your brew when you try to rack it.

If you are using a bucket then I would highly suggest getting a good sized fine mesh nylon hop bag (the paint strainer bags will leak coconut flakes IME), toasting the coconut in a frying pan on the stovetop, putting it in the sanitized bag and securely tying the bag at the top.

For 5 gallons I use 8-10oz of flaked unsweetened coconut.

sweet yeah i use a bucket to ferment in. And i was also thinking a bag to put coconut in. How long you think i should leave it in for?

sweet yeah i use a bucket to ferment in. And i was also thinking a bag to put coconut in. How long you think i should leave it in for?

I put it in for about a week usually.

would the oil in the coconut affect the head retention?

Yes! That is the one thing that I have had trouble with in every coconut beer I've made.

My original recipe for my coconut porter uses DME, which normally has enough maltodextrine to do a good job of retaining head in other beers. But with the coconut in there it dissipates pretty quickly. I am thinking about some carafoam/carapils on my next batch to see if it helps, although I am not convinced it will.

Latest posts

Back