Roast, red meat - peta

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klars

Reaction score
I am a big red meat fan. Tonight we had a nice roast with potatos, yams, carrots, bread and polished it off with a nice ipa.

Now, my kids love this (5 and 7 are their ages). I fear I am raising politically incorrect kids. Howver after a nice red meat meal i feel great. More energy, more stamina for working out etc.

Am I politically incorrect? Raising a couple of "meat monsters" (self described by my 5 year old girl)?

Second thought.....f**k it. I am off to Costco to buy another side of rib loin.

CHEERS TO RED MEAT, HOME COOKED BREAD (SWMBO) AND A HOME BREWED IPA!!! LIFE IS GREAT!!!

Crap, forgot to add. the PETA comment came from my aunt in law..."how can I raise a couple of kids addicted to flesh". The only saving grace, if be, was that she voiced this in private.

I don't think being politically incorrect is an issue here at all. Your aunt in law just made a stupid comment. ;)

Tell her my wife and I were planning on a huge, slow cooked roast tonight for dinner and I've decided to dedicate it to her.

Without the protein of meat, especially cooked meat, our brains would not have developed at the rate it did and we would still be on the same level as animals. News flash we have our teeth designed this way for a reason.

There is room for all of God's creatures... Right next to the mashed potatoes and gravy!

Couldn't help myself!

If we weren't supposed to eat animals they wouldn't be made out of meat. Durr.

Eff self righteous people especially of the vegetarian variety.

If you want to be vegetarian, more power to you. I have several friends who are vegetarian and I don't think twice of it. If you want to be vegetarian and judge people for eating meat you should be hit in the face thousands of times over with a water balloon filled with the blood of animals.

Even if it were the case why on earth would you want to raise a PC anything in the first place?

Eff peta. I say you stop eating anything BUT meat. Don't eat the food's food. You are what you eat, right? So when you eat meat, you are eating a concentrated version of all the vegetables and grains that the animal ate. It's all about efficiency.

If we weren't supposed to eat animals they wouldn't be made out of meat. Durr.

The logic in this is stunning... you, Cambone, rank with the likes of Socrates and Descartes

My bro made a lamb roast for dinner, nice and rare in the middle... ohhhhhhhh.... my girls (7 and 11) both ate very well... 11 year old was raving about it afterwords. Love that kid, she is growing into quite the foodie. Been watching cooking/food shows for years. Loves Zimmern, Bourdain, Man vs Food, Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares, New Scandinavian Cooking, etc... she ignores Rachel Ray which I find amusing! I dig it... she is into sushi, loves Indian and Thai, authentic Mexican food... used to go to a carniceria with me and help pick out the meat... Politically incorrect? Maybe, but darned proud of it! OP; good on you my friend! Tell aunt in law to shut up, that you don't want to see her mouth moving unless she's chewing a steak!

My 15mo old Daughter will DEMOLISH lamb, pork, brisket, turkey, chicken, salmon, etc. We don't feed her ground beef, but that is about it as far as meat goes. She'll eat anything though, hummus, avocado, red onion (raw), Bell peppers, etc.

I'm so proud.

Without the protein of meat, especially cooked meat, our brains would not have developed at the rate it did and we would still be on the same level as animals. News flash we have our teeth designed this way for a reason.

I take it you've met a lot of the PETA people? :cross: Idiots.

I say eff PETA, it's PETV FTW. People for the Ethical Treatment of Vegetables!!! Plants have feelings too!!!

I have. People really fail to realize we are nothing but smart animals with less than a 1% difference between us and every other animal out there.

My kids love sausge and bacon and pork chops and well, you get the picture...

I have friend who went vegan. So far is seems she has not lost any real weight by doing it. She didn't do it for the animals.. She is the one who told me to call her mom about hunting squirrels at her place. "F them squirrels! Eating them is the only thing they are good for!"

LOL! I guess she went vegan for her health (She needs to lost a bunch of weight.)

I love meat. I had many steaks over the holidays and am looking forward to using my new smoker for ribs and brisket, etc.

Having said that, I think PETA needs to change their name. Here's why:

There's nothing wrong with wanting to treat animals ethically - make sure dogs and cats are not tortured and abused, livestock is slaughtered humanely, etc. But IMHO, PETA has strayed far, far away from the mission that their name implies.

It seems to me that they'd want to use their considerable resources (people and money) to win people over to their way of thinking. In other words, you'd think they'd want to reach those who don't already agree with them.

All these ridiculous stunts they do (and that they spend craploads of money on) seem to be preaching to the choir. Their activities (stupid billlboards, stupid rallies, stupid web campaigns, etc.) with their vehement anti-meat stuff appeal most strongly to those who already agree with them. They dont seem all that effective to the people they probably mean to reach. PETA's preaching to the choir.

That's what makes me have no respect at all for PETA. They obviously have lots of people and lots of money. They could use those considerable resources productively but instead, these stunts just look they're entertaining themselves.

People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals? Great idea. However, PETA has become Militant Vegans who Pull Ridiculous Stunts to show off How Militantly Vegan we Are and Condescend to anyone Who Thinks Differently and We Don't Care If we Don't Convince Anyone of The Validity of Our Viewpoint.

Not much of an acronym but whatever. Rant over.

I firmly believe in saving the animals; I bought Tuperware.

Mmmmm.... beeeeeeeefffff.

It's funny since my educational background is Nutritional Sciences and my wife's is Food Animal Industry (and now she's a large animal veterinarian)... we looovee discussions with the PETA wackos since we can basically refute every single claim they make.

God I hate me some PETA. Was gonna have pintos and greens for dinner with corn bread. This thread made me set out a steak to go with it.

Mmmmm.... beeeeeeeefffff.

It's funny since my educational background is Nutritional Sciences and my wife's is Food Animal Industry (and now she's a large animal veterinarian)... we looovee discussions with the PETA wackos since we can basically refute every single claim they make.

God I hate me some PETA. Was gonna have pintos and greens for dinner with corn bread. This thread made me set out a steak to go with it.

LOL!

Actually, that sounds pretty tasty, and it's only like 8 am here...

An update - yeah, f her. I bought another side of sirloin at costco on the weekend. Then a few round steaks to throw in the slow cooker.

Some of my aunt in laws are yoga-borderline vegans...which drives me nuts. Why are eggs and fish okay and beef is not....anyhow...thanks to my breathren here at HBT!

CHEERS TO NFL WILDCARD WEEKEND!!!!!!!!

ps: had a tooth extracted on friday, and IPAs are working better than tylenol 3s....plus i figure they are antiseptic as well :)

You know, to take this thread on a serious turn...I know, I know, but I've had some barleywine so bear with me...

My background: Grew up on a cattle farm. Beef cattle. Knew the name of every steak I ever ate growing up. I didn't like farming livestock then, and we were pretty kind overall to our stock. I still found it, at times, cruel in ways that didn't have to be.

Fast Forward: I still eat meat, but less of it. I find factory farming nauseating. Feed lots are like Armageddon. Disease-riddled, chemically-rendered and antibiotic-abusive places that are more cruel than *anything* I experienced on a small-time family farm while growing up. Even aside from the humanitarian (animalitarian?) reasons, mad cow (prion diseases) scare the hell out of me. I am just paranoid enough to believe that there is a major cover up going on about this right now and it is only a matter of time before it is all blown open. As a psychiatrist who has seen a few cases of early-onset dementia of unknown cause, this is not the way I want to go.

I'm at a point in my life where I have the expendable income to pay more for meat/chicken that isn't subjected to that, so I do. I'm not politically active, nor do I go around preaching about it. I'm just a regular gal with a conscience and some ability to back it up with my choices.

Note: I am not a PETA fan...as a matter of fact, even as I type, El Hubbo has a roast in the oven that is making my mouth water. BUT...this roast came from a friend's hobby farm, where he feeds out a few steers per year in absolutely perfect conditions. They are happy cattle, up until the bolt takes them. We are lucky to have this available to us. I just wish it was the norm for everyone.

dfc said:
Eff self righteous people especially of the vegetarian variety.

If you want to be vegetarian, more power to you. I have several friends who are vegetarian and I don't think twice of it. If you want to be vegetarian and judge people for eating meat you should be hit in the face thousands of times over with a water balloon filled with the blood of animals.

This may be the most Awesome thing I read all morning

Back