RO system recommendations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MHBT

Reaction score
My next homebrew investment will be a RO water system, there are many choices out there and im not sure which one would fit my needs, looking for some recommendations..I brew 5-5.5 gallon batches and would like to start brewing at least once a week and my tenent is also a brewer so i would like to allow him to get access to the RO system aswell so looking at needing enough RO water for 2- 5 gallon batches a week

Buckeye Hydro is popular around here.
Bulk Reef Supply carries some RO/DI used for reefs.
SpectraPure carries some good systems.

@marjen link above seems to be an ok system, though you may want a valve to redirect to your pot instead of the faucet.

75-100 gallons per day should be able to satisfy your needs unless you're on a tight time schedule.

The deal with RO and RO/DI systems is that the components are mass produced and simply rebranded, though some manufactures may have distinct technologies, most of it is Dow and GE behind the scenes.

Right on, Thanks everyone now i just need a barrel reservoir for potable water and a float thing, cheers

Looking at this one, seems to have great reviews and price is not too bad.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003XELTTG/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

What I don't like about that system:
*Nearly no information provided on the various filter stages.
*It includes a GAC prefilter - carbon blocks perform so much better - GAC prefilters are really a way for vendors to add a very low cost filter and have the buyer believe they are getting something special.
*No brand name on the membrane - so I'll bet you a nickle it is not Filmtec. What does this mean to you? Likely rated at 60 psi rather than 50 psi. Likely has a lower rejection rate than the 99% Filmtec.
*Its not assembled in the USA

Russ

Last edited by a moderator:
I use this:

https://www.freedrinkingwater.com/ro-counter-detail.htm

I run it for about 4 to 5 hours into my kettle the night before brew day and get about 10 gallons.

I brew about twice a month. I've had the system for about 3 years with the original filters/membrane. Checked the TDS with a meter about a month ago and it is at 2, so don't need to replace any filters.

I'm super happy with it.

I've had the system for about 3 years with the original filters/membrane. Checked the TDS with a meter about a month ago and it is at 2, so don't need to replace any filters.

Guys - the TDS of the RO water tells you very little about the shape of the prefilters. The RO membrane is the only component in the system that removes TDS. Would never recommend anyone leave prefilters in for 3 + years!

Russ

Guys - the TDS of the RO water tells you very little about the shape of the prefilters. The RO membrane is the only component in the system that removes TDS. Would never recommend anyone leave prefilters in for 3 + years!

I have a whole house particle and charcoal filter system also. Those filters are replaced at least every 6 months, so the load on the prefilters is probably not that much.

Back