Risks of Not Boiling for an Hour?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chadkarol

Reaction score
I brewed Sunday, and with about fifteen minutes left to my boil, I realized I was going to run out of propane. I ended up throwing all the rest of my hops in (and spices; brewed a Christmas Ale) and I ended up completely running out of propane a few minutes later. Ended up boiling for about 50 minutes. An hour is obviously a typical boil, so my question, what's the risk/harm in boiling a little less than 60 minutes? My assumption is, it's not the end of the world and I'm sure it'll turn out just fine, but what are other thoughts?

Should be fine. I forget to refill my tank all the time and have run out on occasion.

Only problem would be if you are using pilsner malt which requires a 90+ min boil.

You'll end up a little low on your IBUs because your bittering hops weren't in as long as expected. And if it was all grain you'll end up a little diluted on your OG. But there's no increased risk of infection or anything like that.

50 min is probably fine. 60min (90min for pilsner malt) is standard to allow DMS to boil off, but there's likely a bit of a fudge factor built into that.

It won't be quite as bitter.

You'll end up a little low on your IBUs because your bittering hops weren't in as long as expected. And if it was all grain you'll end up a little diluted on your OG. But there's no increased risk of infection or anything like that.

Pretty much this, though there has been some debate in regards the IBU vs perceived bitterness regarding late addition hops.

SMM which is not volatile gets converted to DMS (with heat and time) which is then released/volatilized with a good rolling boil. So with a lesser boil, your SMM/DMS could be a bit high. A lot of this also has to do with the malt so if you are using "good" malt, you will not have a problem. Less Maillard products. Impact to kettle break. Other non-quantifiable differences compared to a longer boil may be present.

Basically, you will be fine but it could be different than a longer boil.

If this was an extract batch, you don't have to worry about any DMS effects.

Back