RIS in primary for 1 year ... Bad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jph2275

Reaction score
Brewed up a RIS and a falconers flight IPA last April. Both had nice OG's and very active fermentation. Circumstances and the birth of my daughter took me to Virginia shortly after. I left both brews in their primary buckets in my closet. I will be returning to Texas this summer so they'll be about 15 months on primary.

Should I just dump them? Worried about autolysis? Both air locks still have star san in them. Anyone think they'll be any good?

Patrick

I bet they are still okay. I doubt if the IPA will taste great, they don't age all that well. the RIS might be the best thing you ever made

That long on sach only (no brett), I'd think there'd be a pretty good chance of autolysis. Oxidation would be a concern as buckets are pretty permeable. That said, I'd always recommend trying before dumping.

As others said, try it first. There is a pretty good chance of autolysis at this point. It is slow to come on, but after 15 months it probably has. The only beer I've ever had autolysis problems with sat on the primary for just over a year.

That said, if it is present, it will be obviously apparent and it won't age out. If the RIS somehow managed to avoid autolysis then that should taste amazing by now. And if the IPA is good, I would dry hop it then bottle/keg.

Anyone care to explain autolysis?

It's when the yeast die and their cell walls rupture. It happens when an alcoholic beverage such as beer or wine is in contact with the yeast/trub/lees for a very long period of time. I've personally never experienced it, but I've heard that it causes unbelievably disgusting smells and flavors. It's one of the reasons most brewers say you shouldn't leave beer (or wine... or cider... or mead... etc.) on the yeast/trub/lees for a really long time. My impression, though, is that it takes a pretty long time before autolysis actually occurs. The OP's 15 months DEFINITELY could have caused it though. But it will be very obvious whether autolysis has occurred since the smell alone should have him almost buckling over in agony.

Once i tasted a pale ale which spent ~13 months in primary bucket, no autolisis flavors but it was already raisiny/sherry like which shows oxidation. It actually tasted good because the original body was very thin so it got some of those crystal malt flavours.

Thanks for the thorough and insightful responses everyone 🇺🇸

I had a family member swing by my house and carefully remove the airlock yesterday ... No obvious odors on either! Hopefully that's a good sign!

I will remain optimistic and keep y'all posted. It will be July before I will know.

Latest posts

Back