RIP Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys, for my second brew I have tried a master pint stout kit. All appeared fine when I made the brew on Sunday evening but there appears to be no activity to date. The temp is sitting at around 24-26 oc is that too hot for the yeast or does it take longer for stout to get working . If I get more yeast and re pitch is that advisable. All input welcome I don't want to waste a full batch.

What yeast did you use? What are you using to measure your activity? Airlock or through the carboy?

Before I started making starters I had several direct pitch batches go 72 hours with no signs of activity. Which is the reason I started doing starters.

Kits can be a gamble. Unless it's stamped on the box there is no way to tell when it was packaged. Did the yeast have an expiration date on it? If not, and you don't see any activity in the airlock, and no krausen, after 3 - 5 days, it's safe to repitch.

You ma also want to check your hydrometer/refractometer reading. If there is no change from when you put the wort in the fermenter after 3 days, it's time to repitch.

Thanks for all the help guys you were spot on the l lid on the fermenter was not snapped on fully.

I took a hydro meter reading today OG on Sunday was 1040. The current gravity reading is around 1020 and the stout tastes very good . I'm going to leave it in the fermenter for 10 days and then keg it. What amount of priming sugar would be recommended for stout in a 5 litre keg. Or should I place in a secondary fermenter and prime the whole batch .

Your FG looks good for a stout . A stout typically is between 1.5 - 2.0 volumes . There are calculators online that you enter beer type or co2 volume and temp it will be kept at and it gives you the amount of priming sugar needed . Just transfer your stout into a keg that contains the priming solution .

Back