RIP Gene Wilder

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He did a better job than depp. Might have to pop in the movie .

This makes me feel old and sad, I remember laughing at him when I was much much younger...

When I think of Gene Wilder, I also think of Peter Sellers....

Has anyone besides me ever seen Quackser Fortune Has a Cousin in the Bronx? I saw it in HS, probably need to dig it up again and remember...

When I think of Gene Wilder, I just smile. So many great movies that I can't choose just one, but if I had to, Willy Wonka would be my favorite. I guess That's the kid in me talking.

"Hsaw Aknow, that's Wonka Wash backwards."

One of my favorite actors. He could say so much with just his facial expressions. Think I'll go on a Wilder binge this long weekend.

One of the really good ones, he will be missed. As a kid I liked him in Willy Wonka. Young Frankenstein was really funny and I liked him also in Scared Straight with Pryor! One of the funniest scenes, they are on line waiting to get their prison uniforms and supplies. The property clerk asks him if he wants a condom. Wilder replies "I'm in prison what do I need a condom for?" The huge dude behind him says "I'll take two." The look on Wilder's face is priceless!!

I loved his work long before I knew he was a Milwaukee guy. When I was a kid, my Mom, God bless her, would say that Mel Brooks movies were so crass and sophomoric, etc., and at the same time, my Dad and I would watch Blazing Saddles, Young Frankenstein, etc., and laugh our asses off, all the while with Dad saying "Don't tell Mom."

One of the most delightful things I heard about Mr. Wilder was Mel Brooks on his PBS American Masters episode. Remember the moment in The Producers where Gene Wilder freaks out about "My bright blue blanket!!!" Well, according to Mr. Wilder, Mel Brooks made him eat a bunch of chocolate and drink coffee so that he could do the frantic freak-out performance. A less thoughtful and caring director might have asked the actor to consume stronger stuff ...

Anyway, I have loved every performance I have ever seen from Mr. Wilder. What a wonderful talent. May he rest in peace.

And I have seen our local tributes, he was a University of Iowa grad (communication and theater arts.) Amazing what you learn when it's too late. Alzheimer's sucks....

Let me out. Let me out of here. Get me the hell out of here. What's the matter with you people? I was joking! Don't you know a joke when you hear one? HA-HA-HA-HA. Jesus Christ, get me out of here! Open this goddamn door or I'll kick your rotten heads in! Mommy!

Man, he was just such a part of growing up. Hard to believe he's gone. Blazing Saddles, Young Frankenstein, Willy Wonka, Silver Streak, The Producers...

So many fabulous movies and several more I haven't seen yet that I need to watch.

I actually met Gene about a year ago, I already had great reverence for the man, not just as an actor and comedian, but he's also an ARMY Vet who served in Germany (post war obviously), as well as just a great mind. He rewrote the train station scene in Young Frankenstein as well as rewrote the part of him acting cripple and doing the front roll somersault in Willy Wonka. He signed my Young Frankenstein DVD, talked about all kinds of stuff. The guy was a class act. He also wrote 7 books, not sure if he quite finished the 7th though.

Fitting:

giphy.gif

Very sad! Geez -- Willy Wonka as a kid for sure, Blazing Saddles, See No Evil, Hear No Evil is also a favorite of mine. One of my favorite scenes: https://youtu.be/RemQ_VqmpkA Richard Pryor was great in this one, too. Gene comes in about 2.15

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RemQ_VqmpkA[/ame]

Just remembered one movie from when I was young. Gene played a guy in a field talking to a kid or something. I don't remember at all what the movie was, but he was very strange. Kind of creeped me out a bit.

I tried downloading a few of his movies I didn't have or haven't seen. Only one that was in retention was the Quack-something movie! :thumbsup:

I bet more will be posted online shortly.

Just remembered one movie from when I was young. Gene played a guy in a field talking to a kid or something. I don't remember at all what the movie was, but he was very strange. Kind of creeped me out a bit.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOA7CcVOFIs[/ame]

???

Latest posts

Back