RIMS new setup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave16

Reaction score
Hi!

Looking to build a new rig but as I'm not an electrician, I need advice!
20 gallons, 3 vessels with RIMS.
I would have a 5500w element in both BK and HLT. 2 pumps since it's a single tier.
Both elements wouldn't require to run at the same time, but I would probably run RIMS+1 HLT simultaneously.
My questions are:
1-What Rims element should I get? 2000w?3000w?4000w?
2-I would want a controller Kal style that controls all of my components (rims,pumps,elements). What Amps/Volt would it require.
3-Any thoughts on Groundedbrewingtech? Their controler seem nice and affordable.

Thanks!

The absolute maximum simultaneous power you can have on a 30A circuit is 240V * 30A = 7200W. A 5500W element only leaves 1700W for the RIMS. In many cases, that is enough for a RIMS, but might not be for step mashing larger than 5 gal batches. With a 50A circuit, you can run up to two 5500W elements simultaneously.

Brew on :mug:

You are confirming what I thought. I would need to go 240V/50A.
As for the PID/Controller I'm a bit more clueless. Any suggestions? I'm not quite sure I want to go the DIY way if I don't have to.

You're in luck - I just recently finished this schematic for a 50A controller with 3 elements, one being a RIMS. The controller has a "any 2 of 3" selector switch, which keeps current draw under 50A.

Any 2 of 3 elements.PNG
Any 2 of 3 elements UL.PNG
Any 2 of 3 elements UR.PNG
Any 2 of 3 elements LL.PNG

Any 2 of 3 elements LR.PNG

Let me know if you have questions.

Last edited:
Hi!

Looking to build a new rig but as I'm not an electrician, I need advice!
20 gallons, 3 vessels with RIMS.
I would have a 5500w element in both BK and HLT. 2 pumps since it's a single tier.
Both elements wouldn't require to run at the same time, but I would probably run RIMS+1 HLT simultaneously.
My questions are:
1-What Rims element should I get? 2000w?3000w?4000w?
2-I would want a controller Kal style that controls all of my components (rims,pumps,elements). What Amps/Volt would it require.
3-Any thoughts on Groundedbrewingtech? Their controler seem nice and affordable.

Thanks!

i have a RIMS tube and RIMS controller i was about to post for sale. its the kit that Brew hardware. I had issues with the heating element it messed 4 batches up and i decided i wanted to rebuild my system to a 1V Brew in a basket.

the 1500W is standard for RIMS element as far as i know.

to be more helpful.

i had one pump. i had a RIMS controller, then i had a 240v BIAB controller for my Boil kettle.

honestly you could make it even easier. add a second pump. have one 5500W element and one controller but use two pumps and run the mash into the boil kettle and back into the mash.

you could run the full mash and right into a boil with one element controller.

https://www.auberins.com/index.php?...1H8pwanVMSp768CPrsMAJcfwoGTV9upBoCeXYQAvD_BwE

You're in luck - I just recently finished this schematic for a 50A controller with 3 elements, one being a RIMS. The controller has a "any 2 of 3" selector switch, which keeps current draw under 50A.

View attachment 732413View attachment 732414View attachment 732415View attachment 732416
View attachment 732417

Let me know if you have questions.

While that may not be as "turnkey" as I would have wished for, it is EXACTLY what I am after. Thanks for the input!

If you want a plug and play controller, the Auber BrewBuddy is available as a 50 amp unit. However, I'd recommend really exploring why you want to go RIMS vs HERMS. You're already going to have a heat source in the HLT and HERMS let you leverage it for water heating and mash heating with no extra hardware other than the HERMS coil itself, which is cheaper than a dedicated RIMS solution.

I don't really have a dog in the hunt because I sell both HERMS coils and RIMS tubes so it's really just my personal preference but it's impossible to scorch a batch through a HERMS coil.

I mean if you really want my advice, I'd recommend a recirculating eBIAB setup with a steam condenser instead of a 3 vessel setup but that may be too much of a culture shock for you.

If you want a plug and play controller, the Auber BrewBuddy is available as a 50 amp unit. However, I'd recommend really exploring why you want to go RIMS vs HERMS. You're already going to have a heat source in the HLT and HERMS let you leverage it for water heating and mash heating with no extra hardware other than the HERMS coil itself, which is cheaper than a dedicated RIMS solution.

I don't really have a dog in the hunt because I sell both HERMS coils and RIMS tubes so it's really just my personal preference but it's impossible to scorch a batch through a HERMS coil.

I mean if you really want my advice, I'd recommend a recirculating eBIAB setup with a steam condenser instead of a 3 vessel setup but that may be too much of a culture shock for you.

This is a great post. I used Bobbies Youtube video on his brew set up for eBIAB. so many ways you can set this up.

For me going from a 2V down to one is the clean up. I have brews 3 brews on this set up. i can easily jump from 5G up to 10G with almost no added effort. I have everything attached including my counter flow chiller. i can brew, chill and CIP clean the kettle without moving tubes around.

For me i wanted to do a 3 V set up as its. but the price of everything i decided to do a 2V RIMS. I was lazy cleaning my RIMS element and i believe it had a band ground resulting in bad heat and voltage control. Others on this forum helped me and directed me to a 1V Brew in a basket. with having a nice 3 roller grain mill and having the wort flow over the top and whirlpool i am getting 71% brewhouse efficiency and i just started to learn and experiment with this set up.

the RIMS kit at brew hardware is amazing quality and would be my first choice again.

Latest posts

Back