Rims for boil kettle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

z28tt

Reaction score
Dumb question - is it possible to use a RIMS tube for boiling wort? I'd like to go electric, but keep it as simple as possible. If I could eliminate all the heating hardware from the brew kettle, it'd save a few hundred $. My concern was not getting a vigorous boil in the kettle, but just in the the RIMS tube instead. My search-fu skills came up with nothing, other than most folks have a separate element in the boil kettle. Thoughts? Anyone try this?

If you try to use a RIMS tube for your kettle boil you will, more than likely, clog your pump when you try to add hops to the boil. Add in insufficient boil and convention to drive off undesirable aromatics and I wouldn't recommend it. You'd be better of, if you don't want to mod your kettle, trying to use an immersion e-stick. It's not ideal, and I wouldn't recommend it, but it's probably the only way you'll make it work.

Silver solder a bung on your BK and use you RIMS element. Depending on the RIMS setup, you may be looking at only $20-$30. Do a few more searches a number of people do this same thing.

Good point on reusing the rims element and clogging the pump. Interesting to think of turning it portable.

I guess the hermocouple wouldn't be necessary since you're overdriving it for the boil anyways. I've got lots to learn about pumps too. Have had two chuggers in a box, and need to get around to setting that up.

Baby steps, and I'm looking forward to not needing my wife to help pouring 12 gallons of wort into the primaries.

Will keep searching. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back