Riddler IPA - Trying out Enigma hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unviewtiful

Reaction score
I picked up some Enigma hops from Farmhouse last week and I'm thinking about making an IPA with them I have 12 oz to use in a 10 gallon batch. My system is also limited to 24 lbs of grain in the mash tun, so I'm right at the upper limit. Trying to keep the grain bill simple and let the hops shine.

Title: Riddler

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: American IPA
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 11 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 13.5 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.050
Efficiency: 70% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.062
Final Gravity: 1.011
ABV: 6.67%
IBU: 84.92
SRM: 4.71

FERMENTABLES:
20 lb - American - Pale 2-Row (80%)
2 lb - American - Munich - Light 10L (8%)
1 lb - American - Carapils (Dextrine Malt) (4%)
2 lb - Corn Sugar - Dextrose (8%)

HOPS:
0.5 oz - Apollo, Type: Pellet, AA: 18.3, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 15.76
2 oz - Enigma, Type: Pellet, AA: 18.4, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 31.46
2 oz - Enigma, Type: Pellet, AA: 18.4, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 12.64
4 oz - Enigma, Type: Pellet, AA: 18.4, Use: Whirlpool for 20 min at 180 F, IBU: 25.06
4 oz - Enigma, Type: Pellet, AA: 18.4, Use: Dry Hop for 5 days

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Infusion, Temp: 152 F, Time: 60 min
Starting Mash Thickness: 1.35 qt/lb

YEAST:
WLP013 - London Ale (this has sorta become my house strain, and it supposedly does alright for IPAs)
Ferment at 64 F

Anyone have suggestions on how to best use the limited amount of hops I have? I'm almost thinking about dropping the 60 min bittering addition, which would drop the IBUs to about 70 and the IBU/OG ratio closer to 1.

I wouldn't drop your 60. 25 of those calculated ibus are from the 180° addition which never really tastes like the IBU number. That looks more like it would come across as a 60 IBU beer without any removal of hops.

I wouldn't drop your 60. 25 of those calculated ibus are from the 180° addition which never really tastes like the IBU number. That looks more like it would come across as a 60 IBU beer without any removal of hops.

Cool, thanks. I'm never sure what to make of the calculated IBUs from whirlpool additions. 60 IBU sounds about right for something that will be fairly dry.

I've had this beer on gas for a couple weeks now and I have to say, the Enigma hops are fantastic! The only change I made was using cane sugar instead of corn sugar, but the same amount. It's got a huge fruit juice flavor. I get major notes of raspberry and some tropical notes. Others have noticed strong citrus, but everyone has like the beer a lot.

I've tasted it a few times now, and it always seems to be slightly different. When I first tasted it probably 2 weeks ago I thought it was too sweet and needed a higher bittering charge, but now I like where it's at. It tastes more like it's in the 50 IBU range, definitely not the 84 IBU calculated above.

I highly recommend giving Enigma hops a try if you're looking for something pretty unique, and I obviously endorse my recipe above.

Managed to get 5kg of Enigma (live in Germany). Brewed a couple of times with them. First was a single hop pale ale and it was astounded me. Going into the fermenter it tasted very citrusy, couple of weeks in bottles the Nelson style grape and sweetness kicked in, then after a month or so it mellowed out into a lovely mixture of both flavours.
Then brewed a spring ale with Enigma and Hallertauer Blanc... Those 2 really seem to compliment each other. Been kegged a few weeks and it's full of non-citrus fruit and grape flavours. Definitely a sound alternative to Nelson (if Nelson is as hard to come by in the US as it is here!)

Managed to get 5kg of Enigma (live in Germany). Brewed a couple of times with them. First was a single hop pale ale and it was astounded me. Going into the fermenter it tasted very citrusy, couple of weeks in bottles the Nelson style grape and sweetness kicked in, then after a month or so it mellowed out into a lovely mixture of both flavours.
Then brewed a spring ale with Enigma and Hallertauer Blanc... Those 2 really seem to compliment each other. Been kegged a few weeks and it's full of non-citrus fruit and grape flavours. Definitely a sound alternative to Nelson (if Nelson is as hard to come by in the US as it is here!)

Dude, PM me if you are willing to sell or trade some, I would love to try Enigma. I am in Copenhagen.

I got mine from Farmhouse Brewing Supply, but when I just looked they're sold out. I really want to get some more though!

Thanks, I saw that earlier in the post, so I did a search for it. I bought a pound of enigma from them right after my first post. I also just got some Australian summer, and an experimental grapefruit hops from Yakima valley

Just happened to check Farmhouse this morning, and they had Enigma back in stock! Looking forward to making this beer again! If you've been thinking about trying these hops, I wouldn't wait too long or you might miss out.

Yeah I don't have anything new on Enigma hops, but I made this recipe again I think in October and it came out pretty good. I used Conan yeast the second time around and I wasn't a huge fan. Not sure if it's how these hops play with Conan or if I just don't know how to use Conan very well, but I didn't like it nearly as much as the WLP013 version.

Nice, I planned to brew a NEPA with all Enigma at 170F whirlpool and dryhopping with Galaxy/Nelson. Don't know how much influence the Enigma will have but the beer is going to be ballers.

Back