Rice Syrup Substitute for a light American beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tennessee Brew

Reaction score
I seen older threads n this, didn't want to bump an old thread, figured a new one will only add to the help of others seeking this answer. So as I understand it, rice syrup solids are just to add to the ABV correct? So as I've read you can substitute corn syrup (not my favorite) honey or maple syrup?

I'm going Maple as I love maple flavor perhaps maple and honey? So since this will be liquid form should I bump the quantity just a bit? what is the ratios for using a liquid as opposed to a dry product?

Doing a one gallon test batch

If you are all grain brewing, you can use minute rice, or regular rice if you cook it first. Corn syrup is ok and a limited amount of refined sugar will be fine, but too much sugar may provide a "hot" alcohol taste.

If you are all grain brewing, you can use minute rice, or regular rice if you cook it first. Corn syrup is ok and a limited amount of refined sugar will be fine, but too much sugar may provide a "hot" alcohol taste.
I agree though sugar in my experience is highly yeast/ferment temp dependent.

I'm going Maple as I love maple flavor perhaps maple and honey?

Adding either of these prior to fermentation will not lend much flavor of either. It gets scrubbed out pretty good by yeasties.

Also a lot more expensive for what you're trying to achieve...

Well my recipe calls for 12 ounces of Pilsen light DME and 4 ounces of rice syrup solids. So you think going with the same weight in regular sugar would work? If I am correct, refined sugar is simply table sugars right? Maybe even go a little bit light because I am after taste more than higher ABV anyway.

Also if you use "cooked rice" is there a ratio for determining the amount of cooked versus the solids?

If you use cooked rice, does one use the rice solids as well as what has any liquids ? Just trying to figure out an easy way to do this without driving 30 miles for rice syrup solids

The rice is just there for sugar, not flavor. I'd substitute with plain old table sugar. Will get you a nice crisp and dry lager
Thank you I may go this route on the first batch, maybe a bit light on the amount called for, im not really looking for ABV as much as I am a good taste.

Back