Rice Hulls

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THEDIETZ

Reaction score
I am getting everything cleaned and about to brew a wit beer. the recipe follows the question here. I bought rice hulls to use with this after reading about them on here. SHould i just mix 1/2 lb of them in with my grain bill before doughing in? Hopefully someone lets me know soon....I am about to get this going!!! thanks

Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.41 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Brew Pot (7.5 gal) and Cooler (48 qt)
Taste Rating(out of 50): 47.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00
Taste Notes: Great tasting Wit! A summer favorite! Lacy white head that lasts and lasts. Distinctive, light wheat beer with a hint of spice.

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
4.50 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) Bel (3.2 SRM) Grain 50.00 %
4.50 lb Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM) Grain 50.00 %
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (60 min) Hops 18.5 IBU
0.75 oz Coriander Seed (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
0.75 oz Orange Peel, Bitter (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Belgian Wit Ale (White Labs #WLP400) Yeast-Wheat

A half pound is quite a lot (they don't weight much). I just grab a couple/few handfuls myself. I don't like having them in the entire mash though, they will soak up valuable liquor.

What I do is rinse them thoroughly in hot water (I always found them to be pretty dirty) and then just mix them in when it's time to vorlauf and start sparging. That way they're pre-heated so they don't affect mash temperature and they've also been washed of debris.

Latest posts

Back