Rice and Corn Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rudeboy

Reaction score
All you Reinheitsgebotists can turn away in disgust now.

I'm trying to get into Lagering and alot of the CAP recipes call for Rice and Corn. I know my LHBS has them sometimes but I've heard conflicting things here about what you can use.

First rice There's Rice Grits, Torrified Rice, Flaked Rice, Gelatinized Rice & Rice. Which one do you use and how?

I've read here you have to boil up ordinary rice (brown rice? White Rice?) before you use it. Do you cook it like normal? Do you boil it with more water and an open lid then strain? Do you cool and dry it so you can mill it?

I read somewhere that "Minute Rice" is basically Flaked Rice and can just be added directly to the Grain bill and milled. True?

Second Corn. Corn Grits & Flaked Corn. Any others?

(Please don't laugh at the following questions. Or if you do pretend you're laughing with me not at me.:p )

I'm Canadian we don't have grits (that I've seen) is that the same as polenta or corn meal? Do I have to cook it like polenta? Do I dry and mill it?

"Corn Flakes" is that Flaked Corn? Or does it have so much crap added to it it's not useful to us?

Thanks

Rudeboy

Reinheitsgebotists you may now turn back and read the other threads.:D

Corn meal is more finely ground than grits corn meal might cause a stuck sparge. I'm sure you could get grits from amazon.com I don't do anything other than add my grits to the mash. "Flaked Corn" and grits are basically one in the same "Corn Flakes" is breakfast cereal you could probably use it though.

Never used rice but if I did I'd use brown rice rather than rice that's been bleached w/ Chlorine.

:mug:

I like flaked corn and the flavor corn brings to CAP. I have used corn meal but find it to be a pain. You have to pre-cook it and it is just not my favorite way to brew.

With rice, which is also nice, I have always just used rice as I get it in the store and pre-cook it and toss it in the mash. Rice has a more neutral flavor, corn has a particular sweetness that comes through. Jasmine rice is nice to use in some styles.

This is assumming all-grain brewing.

Listen to the Jamil show about CAP...it's a good show and will answer lots of your questions

Happy brewing
:mug:

Rice
Haven't brewed with it, but from all accounts, you should use either minute rice (which is gelatinized) or pre-gelatinized rice from a brew store. You could use regular rice, but you might be better off going with the first two suggestions.

Corn
I wouldn't use Corn Flakes. There is too much salt and preservatives in Corn Flakes. Use either Flaked Maize, Flaked corn, or even fresh corn. I make a cream ale with corn from a can. 7 or 8 cans that you boil for 20+ minutes and mash in a blender. Then add it straight to the mash.

Make certain you use enough six-row with sufficient quantities of enzymes to convert your adjunct corn/rice. Neither corn nor rice are able to convert to sugar on their own.

Another question: (being lazy don't want to research)

What is the ratio of 6 row to corn for proper conversion? Is it always 80/20? Do I want to have a ratio that high if I am doing an extract version with the addition of specialty grains; ie. six row and maize in bag and pilsen extract being the base?

- WW

Another question: (being lazy don't want to research)

What is the ratio of 6 row to corn for proper conversion? Is it always 80/20? Do I want to have a ratio that high if I am doing an extract version with the addition of specialty grains; ie. six row and maize in bag and pilsen extract being the base?

- WW

Six row converts very well( that's why they use it in American Light Lagers )
It converts itself +, so if you are going to use 1-2lb of maize 10-16oz's should do.
At it's worst Schiltz was 50+% corn

Six-row barley has very high diastatic power. I believe that American 2-row has sufficient diastatic power to convert itself and a grain bill that includes up to 35% non-diastatic adjuncts. English 2-row is reported to have lower diastatic power than American 2-row. Does anyone know what is the highest percentage of non-diastatic adjuncts you can mash with English 2-row and still achieve full conversion? I want to brew a beer with about 25% adjuncts, most of which would be flaked corn.

This is my first post so I hope I'm not intruding.

Is it just because I live in a military town with only a commissary or what? I have never seen flaked corn or more than a few types of rice. Rice was explained but how is flaked corn made?
Thanks

flaked corn is made in a similar way as minute rice. It's pregelatinized for an easier conversion of the starches.

I didn't see in here where anyone mentioned it, but if you do brave using regular rice and boiling it like normal, do NOT dump the water! It's got plenty of starchy yummy goodness in it for conversion.

Hopefully, I'm not going OT in this thread, but here goes:

When I am steeping flaked corn (or for that matter, flaked rice), I usually end up with mush in my steeping bag. I usually leave it for about an hour to an hour and a half. Am I just getting starches out of the adjunct on the outside of the bag, or am I getting *everything*?

Hopefully, I'm not going OT in this thread, but here goes:

When I am steeping flaked corn (or for that matter, flaked rice), I usually end up with mush in my steeping bag. I usually leave it for about an hour to an hour and a half. Am I just getting starches out of the adjunct on the outside of the bag, or am I getting *everything*?

I believe that in order for corn to convert, it must be mashed with a base grain. If you're not mashing it with a base grain, you're getting just starch.

I believe that in order for corn to convert, it must be mashed with a base grain. If you're not mashing it with a base grain, you're getting just starch.

Okay... but am I getting starches from the whole mass, or just the surface?

(I can handle the starch to sugar bit on my own)

Latest posts

Back