Rhubarb Wine - My First Attempt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TasunkaWitko

Reaction score
It's that time of year, and I've got a bunch of rhubarb coming up in various corners of the yard. The other day, my youngest son picked seven pounds of it, so I plan on making at least one 1-gallon batch.

I got this recipe from Yooper; she knows her beer and wine, and I'm grateful for her guidance!-

Rhubarb Wine
Yooper’s Recipe

3 pounds rhubarb (stalk only)
1/4 pint white grape concentrate or 1/2 pound of light raisins (chopped)
7 pints water
2 1/4 pounds sugar
1/4 teaspoon tannin
1 teaspoon yeast nutrient
1 campden tablet (crushed)
1 teaspoon pectic enzyme
1 package of wine yeast (such as champagne or Montrachet)

Use stalk only. Freeze fruit and then place in mesh bag and tie up. Place in primary and let thaw. Dissolve sugar in a little boiling water, dissolve campden tablet and pour over fruit.

Let sit 2-3 days, stirring daily, and keep primary covered. Then, strain fruit out and discard. Add all other ingredients (using cold water) except yeast. Cover. 12 hours later, add yeast and stir well. Cover loosely with a towel. Stir daily, breaking up cap.

When SG reaches 1.020-1.040, rack into secondary, top up if needed, and attach airlock. Rack as needed, adding campden every other racking. This throws a lot of lees, so you may need to rack as early as two weeks.

When there are no lees for at least 60 days, and the wine is clear and done fermenting, it is ready to bottle. Tastes best after at least one year.

Dry, this tastes a bit like pinot grigio. You may prefer it sweetened, but I don't sweeten.

I went ahead and got started with this last night, June 4th; My goal is for a wine that is drinkable (not too sour), but also tastes of rhubarb.

When I got started, I realised too late that I was a little unclear about the amount of "sugar water" in the first step, and a couple of other things; however, I did my best to follow a (hopefully) good interpretation of the instructions in Yooper's original post.

First, I cleaned and sanitized everything, then put the fruit in a strainer bag (it was still frozen but thawed pretty quickly). My dad keeps insisting that more rhubarb is necessary (he is making a batch now too, and is using 4.75 pounds), so I decided to throw caution to the wind, and used 3.5 pounds of rhubarb for this first attempt. I brought the sugar up a little, to 3 pounds, to compensate for the extra rhubarb. It looked to me as though the rhubarb was taking up a lot of room in the primary bucket, so I went ahead and heated the full 7 pints of water hot enough to fully dissolve the sugar - close to, but not quite, boiling.

Once the sugar was dissolved, I let it cool a bit, then poured it onto the strainer bag and a crushed campden tablet. If I would have been thinking, I would have dissolved the campden tablet in a little water, but that slipped my mind. The rhubarb was still partially frozen, so the water cooled very quickly to something close to room temperature.

I stirred the water and rhubarb around in order to dissolve the campden tablet and get everything together. Even with the full 7 pints of water, it seemed like part of the rhubarb was floating on top in the bag, but maybe it just needs to absorb the water.

If I read the instructions correctly, I'll now stir the rhubarb and water for a couple-three days in order to extract the juice, then squeeze, strain and discard the fruit solids from the bag. After that, I will add the pectic enzyme and the rest of the ingredients, except the yeast, which will come 12 hours after that. After adding the yeast, the procedure looks like it will pretty much follow in similar fashion to the wine I've made before.

Tonight, 5 June, I stirred and squeezed the rhubarb that is juicing in my primary bucket. This is a pretty routine operation, and went without incident for the most part; however, one thing that I noticed right away is that my rhubarb produced a LOT of liquid. By the looks of it, I might have as much as a quart over a gallon of juice now in the primary bucket.

This goes back to my original confusion above over the amount of sugar water to use in the first step; the rhubarb appeared to take up a lot of room in the fermenting bucket (more that half-filling it, by appearances), so in my ignorance, I used the full 7 pints of water for the sugar water. Well, the rhubarb evidently had a lot of liquid of its own so I am over a gallon total by a little bit, but we'll see how things shake out. I'm not too worried about it, since I have extra rhubarb and sugar in there anyway, and I'm guessing that I will lose some juice in the process. What I might do is keep any extra in the refrigerator and use it to top off as I rack over; or perhaps I'll simply have a little rhubarb juice on hand for a refreshing drink after mowing the lawn on a hot summer day - it's all good. One thing is for sure - next time I'll remember that it is NOT necessary to use the whole 7 pints for sugar water.

All in all, it looks like I went off the rails a little bit, but not in any significant way that will affect the final outcome.

Speaking of tart rhubarb on a warm summer day, I've got a recipe for a rhubarb-strawberry strong ale that I will be trying for the first time in a couple of weeks. If anyone is interested, let me know - it's in .pdf format, so shoot me a PM with your email and I'd be more than glad to send it over.

Ron

Yes. It's that time of year. I've been thinking about doing a batch myself. Maybe I'll at least pick and freeze the rhubarb this year and make it this fall. I've only done two batches but both turned out great with yoopers recipe. Good luck.

Hey, guys - thanks for checking in on the thread, and for the words of encouragement. I've loved rhubarb all my life, and am looking forward to seeing what I end up with here.

Tonight, 6 June, I stirred my rhubarb "juice" and squeezed the mesh bag again. All went as expected, and I am guessing that we're on schedule here.

There isn't much else to report, except that I'll repeat this procedure tomorrow night; then, I will strain/discard the rhubarb and add the other ingredients to the rendered juice (chopped golden raisins, tannin, yeast nutrient and pectic enzyme). 12 hours after that, I'll proceed with the addition of the yeast, and will begin this project in earnest.

More as it happens, etc. &c.... Thanks again, and keep checking in!

Cracking stuff, I make rhubarb wine and rhubarb + other fruit wines every year. All initially based on yoopers recipes. However, I would recommend checking out a video on YouTube from Christopher Edwin about extracting juice from rhubarb without leaving it in the primary. I swear by the method!! Enjoy!!

Ill follow too...

A thing to comment on though and I hope if I am wrong others will set me straight, but adding the extra pound of sugar did NOTHING to counter the extra rhubarb you added.... All of the sugar will be fermented out into alcohol so by adding the extra pound all you did was raise the alcohol content.

Second, if you keep some of that juice back and use it to top off you will be waiting much longer for the wine to clear because every time you use it to top off you will be adding even more sugar into the mix which will cause more yeast activity and they wont die off and settle to the bottom.

I think you're probably right on both points, Indy, but it's all good - I've got time ~ besides, I was looking last night and I don't think it was as far over a gallon as it first appeared. I'm thinking that it will fill the fermenter close to the brim, but not over it.

Tonight, 7 June - I drained and strained the solids and added the other wine ingredients, including the tannin, yeast nutrient and pectic enzyme.

I am 250 miles away from any white grape concentrate, but no big deal - chopped golden raisins will do the job very well, as I have found. Unfortunately, my supply of golden raisins has "disappeared" (thanks, kids!), so I'll have to add them tomorrow, when I add the yeast. I "assume" (?) this will be alright.

Per the instructions, I already added a campden tablet at the beginning, when I started the rhubarb in the sugar water, so I "assume" (?) that I do not add another one until I am racking the wine.

Observations were much the same as before; the first night, the "juice" was a pinkish yellow, but last night and this evening, it became more yellow in colour. When I added the tannin, the colour darkened just a bit. There is still more than a gallon in play here, but I have a feeling that by the time I transfer it off the fermentation lees and into secondary, it's going to be right where it needs to be. There might be enough for a wee sample, and that will be about it.

That's all for now - more as it happens ~

One trick I picked up from a local brew shop guy was to freeze/thaw the rhubarb 3x to make sugar extraction easier. First year I tried that I ended up with a high ABV wine. So high that the yeast went on strike and left it pretty sweet. Still tasted really good after I aged it a year (I age all of my batches 10-12 months in carboys), but you'd be feeling good after a couple of glasses.

Now I just add 2 lbs less sugar per 6 gallon batch and they turn out very close to the original specs.

Tonight, 7 June - I drained and strained the solids and added the other wine ingredients, including the tannin, yeast nutrient and pectic enzyme.

I am 250 miles away from any white grape concentrate, but no big deal - chopped golden raisins will do the job very well, as I have found. Unfortunately, my supply of golden raisins has "disappeared" (thanks, kids!), so I'll have to add them tomorrow, when I add the yeast. I "assume" (?) this will be alright.

Per the instructions, I already added a campden tablet at the beginning, when I started the rhubarb in the sugar water, so I "assume" (?) that I do not add another one until I am racking the wine.

Observations were much the same as before; the first night, the "juice" was a pinkish yellow, but last night and this evening, it became more yellow in colour. When I added the tannin, the colour darkened just a bit. There is still more than a gallon in play here, but I have a feeling that by the time I transfer it off the fermentation lees and into secondary, it's going to be right where it needs to be. There might be enough for a wee sample, and that will be about it.

That's all for now - more as it happens ~

Yes, you will be fine not adding more campden. I would only add more if the juice was getting fizzy indicating something had started fermenting. If I did that I would then wait 24 hours before adding my yeast.

I suppose it depends on the rhubarb. Mine has quite red stalks so the wine comes out a nice pink color.

You are making me anxious to get a batch started.

Well then, get one going! This one seems to be going nicely.

Tonight, 8 June, I threw in the half-pound of chopped golden raisins and pitched my yeast (Montrachet).

Not much else to report, but the next few days will determine whether or not I was successful!

Well then, get one going! This one seems to be going nicely.

Tonight, 8 June, I threw in the half-pound of chopped golden raisins and pitched my yeast (Montrachet).

Not much else to report, but the next few days will determine whether or not I was successful!

traveling too much right now. I am not home for enough days straight to be able to stir and transfer.

Well, as soon as you get the chance, maybe cut and freeze some rhubarb, and when there's time, you can get it going.

I'm really thinking that this is going to be great for a summer night. It's been awfully warm here in Montana the last few evenings, and I can only imagine how good this wine would be sitting on the front porch.

I'm really thinking that this is going to be great for a summer night. It's been awfully warm here in Montana the last few evenings, and I can only imagine how good this wine would be sitting on the front porch.

Exactly right! Rhubarb wine has become a thing for our family and visitors up at our lake place in northern Minnesota. You can chill it fairly cool and its quite refreshing in the evenings. We never drink any of it in our Twin Cities home, and never a drop of it in the winter.

The only problem with the whole thing is timing. It takes quite awhile to clear (generally 9 months min and multiple rackings). I like Yoopers method of being able to read a newspaper through the carboy as yeast in my wine is kinda yuck. But once you get the pipeline going the first year, its not a problem starting a batch in the summer and consuming the previous years batch.

Last evening, 9 June, and this morning, 10 June, I stirred my must and took a look at it.

Fermentation is beginning a little slowly, compared to what I am used to seeing with beer, but it is definitely going on, and I hope that it is about to hit it's stride. Last evening, there was a bit of a smell I wasn't familiar with, almost but not quite sulfurous. The must seemed fine, however, so I stirred it and put it away.

This morning, it was making a fizzy sound as I stirred it, even though there wasn't much in the way of visual cues except a bit of foam as I stirred. I am hoping that by the time I get home this evening, I'll have a nice cap to stir down.

One thing that might be affecting things is my fermentation temperature. We're looking at about 77 degrees right now, give or take a couple of degrees. To me, that seems a little high, but I am used to beer, so it might be fine. Also, I usually cover the fermenter with a tea towel, but that wasn't an option this time, so I put the lid on with an airlock. By tonight, I should be able to have a tea towel on it, which might help.

So, based on that, would a little yeast nutrient be a good idea, or should I let it ride and see what happens? I think that we're going to be fine in the end, but as always, anything that will better the odds of success would be good.

Last night, 10 June, and this morning, 11 June, I stirred the must again, and there is certainly some good fermentation happening now. The "sulfur smell" seems to be gone, replaced by an aroma that is a little yeasty and a little rhubarb-y.

I am starting to wonder if the slight sulfur smell that I originally encountered might be due to the golden raisins in there. Per the recipe, I added a half-pound of them, chopped as best as I could chop them. I checked the package, which does indicate that there is a trace amount of sulfates added, presumably as a preservative. Perhaps this might be a factor?

As I stirred the must, there was a lot of good fizzing and foam. The must is quite opaque, as beer looks when it is fermenting, and the airlock is going like crazy (I wasn't able to get tea towels yesterday, as I had planned - hopefully tomorrow). I think that even if this project did have a rocky beginning, it is certainly on track now.

Time will tell - more as it happens!

I stirred again this morning, and things continue to look good. We're starting to smell like wine, here! Another two or three days of this, then I'll rack the must over to my fermenter to begin finishing up.

Sounds like all is well. Some sulphur smell is not that uncommon in wine/cider making. 77 is probably fine for fermenting wine (upper end) Below 70 or so they are harder to start.

Thanks, solbes - It's good to know that I'm on track with this wine. Still very new at this, and while it is basically easy, I always worry in the back of my mind that I am messing it up somehow.

I checked on my must and stirred it again this morning, 13 June; the temps were right around 68-is. The only thing that seems "different" now (compared to the wine I've made before) is the lack of a cap when I check on it to stir, but then again, it could be because of the chopped golden raisins floating around. I did notice that it foams up when I stir, and I get the fizzy sound that I remember from last time. The colour is a light off-white with some yellow/gold, most likely from the golden raisins and the bit of tannin in there. The must is still quite opaque and looking close to what I would expect. I did sample a tiny sip, and I've definitely got wine forming here; it seems a bit sweeter than I would expect, but since we're still fermenting I'll wait it out.

In a couple of days - maybe three or four - I'll rack the must over to secondary fermentation in my glass fermenter, and hopefully the fun will begin.

Things are still plugging along with this project, and I believe that we're in good shape.

I've been stirring my must at least once each day (twice, if I am able to), and there is still a good amount of airlock activity. A couple of tiny samples are definitely giving me a rhubarb-flavoured wine - still a bit on the sweet side, but in a not-bad way. The colour of the must appears to be lightening, but it is still opaque; it looks somewhere between a very light yellow and white. I am sure that time will clear it out.

I'll continue with this, and will advise as things develop!

Ron

I stirred my must again last night, and drew out a small sip to see how it is coming along. I noticed a definite drop in the sweetness level, and am guessing that it is about time to transfer this over to secondary in my glass fermenter. I also noticed a drop in air-lock activity - it hasn't stopped, but it has slowed down to a bare crawl. I will probably check the gravity tonight, and then transfer it over. It is my intention to strain out the golden raisins that are still in the must, as I am sure they have fulfilled their purpose by now.

Thanks for the updates. I enjoy seeing others progress and process. I'll be starting a batch of mulberry soon so seeing what everyone else is doing helps a lot.

Yep gravity check is in order. I have been late in racking a few times because I was judging based on visual activity. Definitely want to be in glass secondary to let it finish up to minimize air exposure when its making less CO2.

Just bottled my black raspberry rhubarb that we started on August 10th of 2015. Clear as a bell and tasty as all get out. We tend to consume this stuff in large quantities with friends at the cabin, so no point in bottling in 750's. We got 12 1.5L bottles and just 2 in 750's to give out to those who helped augment rhubarb.

Well, I was going to transfer this stuff over to secondary last night, but a few things got in the way, so I did it this morning. I was rushed as I was trying to get ready for work etc., but I think that everything went okay, and I am reasonably certain that I washed and sanitized everything well, which is the important thing.

I ran the whole thing through a medium-mesh strainer, in order to remove the golden raisins. The must smelled pretty darn good, and I ended up with just about a quart of extra. I put this extra in a jar, right up almost to the brim. I figure that I can either use this to top off the wine as I rack it, or simply drink it as a young wine sometime when we're all gathered around with guitars and amps on a Friday or Saturday night.

I was a little surprised at so much extra liquid, even though I only used 7 pints of water; I then realized that I had washed off the rhubarb after cutting it, so perhaps the rhubarb soaked up extra water, which might account for so much extra liquid. I think it will be alright in the end, however, as I had used some extra rhubarb and sugar when starting this wine.

Now, the wait begins. Yooper's post says that this wine throws a lot of lees, so I'll be waiting for a while to see how well it eventually clears out. I am sure that this wine won't be perfect, as it is only my second batch; but then again, my first batch (chokecherry) seems to be coming along quite well, all things considered, so I might surprise myself.

Well, bad news - I was about a week outside of my final racking, when my 20-something-year-old son got into it while I was on a mini-vacation. He drank a fair portion of it (maybe a third?) and replaced what he drank with....water.

So now I have some wonderful-tasting-yet-watered-down-rhubarb wine.

I'll get it bottled and put up and use it for topping off, I guess, when I start my next batch.

Ron

Yessir - He did the same thing to my chokecherry, and all but one bottle of each batch of beer I brewed for summer. It's pretty disheartening....

I actually have enough rhubarb in the freezer to make a new batch; however, there are several that I want to make before trying this again - including Flathead cherry, another chokecherry and crabapple. Perhaps, after that, another rhubarb.....

In the meantime, I'm strongly considering putting locks on all of my storage areas and beer fridge. Sad, but possibly necessary.

Gah! I've been hoarding my batch of summer rhubarb in the freezer waiting for your outcome. Doesn't your son realize how many people are harmed by his insouciance? Wings of the butterfly &tc...

Yeah, not cool.

@buMbLeB - I know it...I know it! :( :mad:

For what it's worth, it was coming along REALLY nicely. It's rhubarb, so it's a bit tart, but not overly so at all, in my opinion. Besides, that was to be expected, since it is - after all - rhubarb wine. One could back-sweeten, if desired, or perhaps add a quarter-cup of honey as described in Yooper's crabapple wine recipe.

Having said that, I probably would not sweeten it, myself. My dad was making some at the same time that I was, using a different recipe, and he said that mine was much better. I think it might be good to add some other fruit, if desired, but if you're making straight rhubarb wine, then my inclination would be to leave it a bit tart.

Anyway, I think a person could go ahead with the recipe I was using and do pretty well. I didn't get to "final" stages with this, but it was very good every step of the way up until disaster struck.

Who is this man child who has Multiple Times thieved and ruined your wines? Kick his ass out, or deliver an ultimatum, man. He is a adult. Nothing peeves me more than such irresponsibility.

Just brew the boy some sugar water like they do in Scandinavia. Or better yet, teach him the art, then start thieving in retaliation! Thanks for the extra info TasWit, I'll go ahead and do my own batch. I've already got one plum and one apricot from my dad's fruit trees, so the rhubarb will be the trifecta.

ps I really like tart, and I bet my folks do too, and they're gonna get most of it. Just want you to know I appreciate your contributions, very helpful!

Thank you, sir - it is good to hear!

Please do feel free to post up on your experience with this, or create a new thread and post a link to it here. The more information out there, the better!

Back