Rhubarb Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter D Day

Reaction score
Spring has finally sprung here in Western Canada and up comes the rhubarb. Since last years crop I started making mead so now when I see any fruit (or vegetable in this case according to Google) I wonder if I can use it to make mead. So, I thought I would ask here on Homebrew Talk if anyone has made a mead using rhubarb.

You bet! I suggest around 5lbs rhubarb per gallon and enough honey to get it to the OG you want. Yooper usually suggests around 3lbs rhubarb per gallon for rhubarb wine.

I've made some rhubarb mead that I felt really good about.

And I think the BJCP uses the culinary, not botanical definition of foods, so consider rhubarb a fruit.

Thanks for the response Kent88. Every year I wonder what to do with all the rhubarb. I make a lot of strawberry rhubarb jam, give some to friends and neighbors and let a lot go back to the earth. Now that I'm making mead I don't think there will be any waste. Can you tell me what yeast worked for you please. Regards.

What yeast... I think it was a sweet mead strain, either Wyeast's or White Lab's. I've come to not like Wyeast's because I've had some problems with it finishing, but I think melomels are easier for that yeast to handle. I've had decent results with White Labs so far. But I read a lot of recipes that call for dry wine yeasts, and I've seen a few videos of some award winning meadmakers using some kind of dry wine yeast out of a gray packet.

I don't know if this would be your thing, but I've made some decent rhubarb saison based on this. If you're looking for more ideas for what to do with rhubarb. :rock:

I can't wait to get a house with a yard again so I can plant some rhubarb.

Latest posts

Back