Rhizomes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cavman22

Reaction score
Hello

I dug up these rhizomes from my 2 year old chinook plant today. Do you think these would grow? I dont see any sprouts or anything on them. The are about 6" long, but came from a section about 6 feet long. They are about the diameter of a pencil. I would like to give them away at my brew club but hate to give them away if they wont grow.

images free

Hello

I dug up these rhizomes from my 2 year old chinook plant today. Do you think these would grow? I dont see any sprouts or anything on them. The are about 6" long, but came from a section about 6 feet long. They are about the diameter of a pencil. I would like to give them away at my brew club but hate to give them away if they wont grow.

images free

The top one looks like there are some 'nubs' on it. Do any of the others have those same nubs? If they do, there's a good chance that they will sprout out of those. When I'm harvesting rhizomes, I'm looking to split them where there are those nubs, which is every few inches or so. Then again, it's also february, and those nubs may not have sprouted yet.

As long as you're giving them to the club and not selling them, you should be goot. I offer up, when I sell mine, to replace any that die for free. Some people take it, some people don't. I will sometimes start them in pots before I sell them, so that it is plant matter, and not a rhizome.

Ok. I'll give it a shot. They just seemed a little young to me. By don't have the woody feeling, they are more soft and mushy.

If they don't have that "woody feeling" and they don't have "buds/eyes" , I think you've answered your question.

Ok that's actually good. Some of them broke off as i was pulling them out of the ground. Hoping they don't take off because some may have made it under the fence

Rhizomes are very time sensitive as well. If you think there may be some viable nubbins the quicker they are planted the better. Once cut they start rotting from each end. The game is whether the bud will start growing before the rot reaches it. If not properly stored or planted in overly wet conditions theres a good chance they will be no good even if they were viable rhizomes to begin with.

Rhizomes are very time sensitive as well. If you think there may be some viable nubbins the quicker they are planted the better. Once cut they start rotting from each end. The game is whether the bud will start growing before the rot reaches it. If not properly stored or planted in overly wet conditions theres a good chance they will be no good even if they were viable rhizomes to begin with.

Thanks. The plant is originally from you! Beautiful. I think it's actually a lucky dog

Back