Rhizomes - skinny twigs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schneemann

Reaction score
In May, I purchased 8 rhizomes from three different locations. One location stated they'd send me my rhizomes next year. No biggy.

The two orders I received were 2 Kent Goldings from Freshops and 4 Cascade from Adventures in Home Brewing.

The Kent Goldings from Freshops looked great. They were about an inch thick and already had some root buds coming out of them.

The Cascade from Adventures in Home Brewing looked like dried up twigs. They were no thicker than a pencil.

I planted each rhizome in a 4 gallon pot shortly after receiving them. I water each one lightly every few days, being careful not to soak them while also not letting the soil get dry.

The 2 Kent Goldings are already putting up about 4 inch bines while there's absolutely no sign of activity from the Cascade.

Anyone have any idea whether this is normal?

My cascades, centennials, hallertau, and fuggle were sall kinny twigs, and I planted them in the beginning of May. I have about 4-12" bines on all of my plants now.

I ordered a Cascade from Adventures in Home Brewing and it didn't take. After 6 weeks, I dug it up and called them. They sent me two more rhizomes to try and after 3 weeks, I still have nothing from them. One of the replacement rhizomes at least had a couple of shoots, so that looked promising, but still nothing. My Centennial from Freshops is growing like a weed and was planted at the same time as the original Cascade, so I must be doing something wrong with the Cascade.

Don't feel bad I recieved 2 cascades from freshops and they were small...right now they are about 20" high. Everthing else I recieved from freshops were huge..my Zues, sunbeem, and zugget are all 6ft high. By far ones that are doing the best for me are my williamette they are allost to the top of the deck all ready...Not a bad first post huh??

Bighops

Back