Rhizome swapping thread 2011

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a few patches of wild Upstate New York hops, I am assuming some type of Cluster cross. When wet they are really, really sticky and smell herbal, like lemon balm and basil. Dry they smell softly herbal, would make a great aroma hop. They are a little sharp for bittering IMO. I am looking to trade for a few less common strains. I'd really like to get my hands on some strisselspalt, spalter, and northern brewer rhizomes. PM me or email [email protected].

I'll be digging them in April methinks, as soon as the frost knocks out and the ground warms up a little.

This year I will have, Chinook, Galen, Nugget, Willamette, and maybe Cascade.

I'm looking for, Perle, Northern brewer, Brewers gold, Omega, Pacific gem or any of the dwarf variates.

I should be digging at the end of this month 25th or so, I'm in zone 10.

I have 2 whole rhizomes I want to get rid of. They are both 4 year old Goldings. In the shade at my old home they grew 24' the first year, but won't grow above 6' in their new full-sun location. If you've got a shaded back-lot to work with these are perfect... that or live in one of the cooler climates, perhaps zone 5? These mature whole plant rhizomes will be HUGE and a PITA to get out of the ground.

What ya got to offer?

Schlante,
Phillip

i don't have any hops or homebrew ready to trade but i have a mole plant surrounded by medjool dates in a planter that i want gone. Shipping it anywhere wouldn't really work. but if someone in the general area of chicago south suburbs wants it, let me know.

I'm not asking anything in return, though, if you have any rhizomes you don't need, i'd be happy to take em.

I have a going on 4th year Northern Brewer hop plant I need to get rid of to make space in the garden. It was growing in a container and is ready for a home in the ground. Its out of the container now in one solid round chunk, so if anyone wants it, PM me and ill let you know how you can pick it up. This is one huge rhizome! If I dont hear from anyone in a week or so ill put it up on Craigslist and if I dont get any replies I am going to dump it. (Free of course for pickup)

Too bad I'm not in sunny California anymore! You don't want to stick it in a Flat Rate Box by any chance do you? ;)

Too bad I'm not in sunny California anymore! You don't want to stick it in a Flat Rate Box by any chance do you? ;)

Haha I cringe to think what the postal people would think of me bringing a 30-40 pound mound of dirt and rhizome into the post office and asking them to ship it!

Pah, trim it to fit in a large flat rate box, put it in a grocery baggie and call it done! "Anything under 70lbs ships for one low rate."

Seriously, I need a Northern Brewer plant. ;) If you're willing to take the time to ship it, I'll paypal you the dough. I'd love to see a picture of you bringing that thing in to the Post Office!

I have cascade and mount hood rhizomes. If anyone wants to trade. Let me know. I may have williamette rhizomes, but ill have to check

I have cascade and mount hood rhizomes. If anyone wants to trade. Let me know. I may have williamette rhizomes, but ill have to check

I want some! I'll be digging up my Sterling in a week or two (assuming the ground isn't frozen then).

If anyone has any Citra, Simcoe, Warrior or any other proprietary rhizomes to swap, I'll happily trade you some of mine. :cross:

I'm extremely excited to see a forecast of 50's and rain for the next few days here in Minnesota!

Ok so I have this as "orders" so far

Hannable
Big variety pack

Yooper
3-4 centennial
2-3 Willamette

LilBrewy
2-3 fuggle

I dug today
Hallertau, Willamette, Cascade, Centennial, Fuggle.

I packed them 2-3 per bag, except for the massive amount of Fuggle I have, that's like 3-4 per bag.

I have several bags of all the above varieties left to do trades with people. I'm full up on the amount of hop plants I need...

Conpewter, I would be interested in a couple willamette and cascades, I don't have any of those yet. I don't have any to trade as I just started this year and just got a couple rhizomes to plant. Let me know how much for them, if you can send them to me. Thanks!

Conpewter, I would be interested in a couple willamette and cascades, I don't have any of those yet. I don't have any to trade as I just started this year and just got a couple rhizomes to plant. Let me know how much for them, if you can send them to me. Thanks!

I'll put you down for willamette and cascade :) I try to put 2 rhizomes or more per bag. PM me your address. I'm open for trades of local micro-brews or homebrew.

So I have left
3 Hallertau bags,
1 Willamette bag,
2 Cascade bags,
3 centennial bags,
5 Fuggle bags.
Bags generally each have 2-4 rhizomes in them.

I'm up for trades of local brews or homebrew, or pretty much anything, PM me. I have enough hop plants now (too many) so I don't need any more rhizomes... Also if you can't afford to trade anything that's OK too I can just send them to you. God Bless!

Got your PM Vance, I'll get something together for you, just have to confirm who wants what :)

JRems and Lilbrewy I have not gotten your addresses yet.

Okay, so I finely dug! I think I dug on the early side, as there are no new shoots forming on anything except for the crown. I'm almost tempted to keep these a little warm to make sure they are viable, but that would be contrary to everything I've read on the subject.

Anyway as of now I'm only sending these to one person (I can't remember your SN right now, but you know who you are).
I'd like to get these all to people who will use them, I'll give priority to those who can offer a trade, but a trade isn't necessary.

These are Sterlings (and that's all I have this year)
feb002.jpg

Dr. J,

You might want to look at those a little closer to see if they are actually rhizomes and not roots. The rhizomes have the buds on them and the true roots do not. Plant a rhizome and the buds grow into vines. Plant a root and it slowly turns back into soil organic matter. Just an observation. Hop on!

Dr. J,

You might want to look at those a little closer to see if they are actually rhizomes and not roots. The rhizomes have the buds on them and the true roots do not. Plant a rhizome and the buds grow into vines. Plant a root and it slowly turns back into soil organic matter. Just an observation. Hop on!

I dug up the whole plant and the only buds where on the main crown. These bits were from runners that had grown out near the surface, not the ones which grew down, but I'm still quite unsure of their viability.
I'm keeping the bulk of them cool and moist, and a handful moist and warm to see what happens.

I dug up the whole plant and the only buds where on the main crown. These bits were from runners that had grown out near the surface, not the ones which grew down, but I'm still quite unsure of their viability.
I'm keeping the bulk of them cool and moist, and a handful moist and warm to see what happens.

Unless there are white shoots growing from them, don't expect anything Dr. J.

There do not have to be shoots coming from them.If they have a bump or node that will turn into a shoot.If you dug your own you can tell the rhizomes from the water roots,the rhizomes are not that far under the soil,will have bumps or nodes about every 6 inches and will end close to the surface.The roots turn down. Cheers Glen

I'm in zone 4 (Minneapolis area) and went outside today to see signs of life from under the leaves that I put over the cut-back vine stubs. The weather this week looks like it is going to be in the 40's and 50's dipping down to around freezing at night. Generally speaking, when is it safe to start digging? I need to put barriers up so that I do not wind up with a garden and yard full of hops anyway.

I have a few Cascade, a Chinook and a Centennial but don't know if I'll have many if any to trade. I'll happily share what I can though.

I'm looking for crystal rizhomes. If anyone has crystal and is interested in centennial let me know.

First year grower here in Texas. I have a Mt. Hood plant that just broke through so I know now they will grow here. I'd love to get a few cascade and centennials if anyone has some to spare. I have homebrew, and 2010 harvest amarillo leaf hops to trade (they seem to be getting scarce).

It just snowed here in Denver, so it will be a few weeks before I dig up the Centennials and Saaz that I have. I will wait and see what comes up. There were a few shoots that poked up prior to the snow. The snow is pretty typical here, as the frost free date is May 11.

Dug my Nugget and East Kent Golding plant last week, so I have
3 bags of Nugget
3 of EKG
2 of Fuggle
1 of Hallertau

Same offer as before, will trade for random stuff (homebrew, craft brew, beef jerky, other interesting sundries) or if you need I can just mail them to ya, no charge.

Send me a PM with what ya'd like, first come first serve style

OK I don't have and rhizomes to trade with but I do have some of my spiced winter lager! I'm looking for several varieties, listed in order of importance:
tettnanger, cluster, hersbrucker, spalt, willamette.

Really want tettnanger and a true cluster (haha that's a funny statement "true cluster") let me know if you can help me out.

They have sprouted. First come, first served if you want to dig some Centennials or some Saaz. I will trade for other varieties or future draft picks.

:mug:

I have an extra Cascade rhizome, free to anyone who can come get it. I also have a mystery hop plant that I'd be happy to part with if someone's adventurous or just looking for an ornamental.

I have some fuggle cascade and centennial. I'm looking for some EKG, Mt Hood, Chinnok, Columbus or whatever you have.

If you do not have anything to trade, that's fine, I can send some along free of charge.

Carl

I sent some Centennial and Saaz to ultravista (your PM is full). If you are successful, please send me something. My address is on the package. You should get it Weds.

second year cascade and chinook plants, they were in planters so not as huge as if in the ground. Local pickup in westchester (cincinnati ohio). Would trade for homebrew or commercial brews. Whatever you think is fair is fine.

I have some fuggle cascade and centennial. I'm looking for some EKG, Mt Hood, Chinnok, Columbus or whatever you have.

If you do not have anything to trade, that's fine, I can send some along free of charge.

Carl

I've got four mt. hood rhizomes that Williams Brewing sent me b/c they ran out of cascade...I'd love to trade you all the Mt. Hood for some Cascade.

Back