Rhizome sprouting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

what is the % of rhizomes sprouting?

• 50-60

• 20 or less

Results are only viewable after voting.
Last year I planted 2 Willamette rhizomes together and i had one healthy shoot sprout and produce cones

I voted 80% but really it was 70%, but I should note that it may vary considerably depending on variety and of course, nature....

my first go at hops (2011), all of the plants died (hurricane wiped them out shortly after planting).

my second go however worked out (2013):

I planted 13 plants of four varieties.

11 I purchased, 2 were given to me.

The breakdown was 4 centennial, 4 willamette, 4 tettnang, 1 fuggles.

4/4 centennial came up, 1/4 willamette came up, 3/4 tettnang came up and 1/1 fuggles came up.

The centennial produced a decent amount cones (1.5oz dried), the Willamette and fuggles produced minimal cones (0.5oz each), tett gave me nada.

This year so far-

2/4 centennial, 2/4 willamette (yes a second sprouted), 0/4 tettnang, 1/1 Fuggles have broken ground. They all send up shoots at different times, so I'm just biding my time here.

I believe most distributors/sellers/growers suggest buying double what you think you want of each rhizome. On top of that, some varieties are supposed to be easier to grow than others.

At some point you will be able to make your own rhizomes, so don't over buy.

my suggestions:
1.) RESEARCH which varieties you want to grow.
2.) Don't plant them willy-nilly, determine a spot where they can live for the rest of their lives, after all these are pretty much a permanent plant.
3.) Buy at least two rhizomes of each variety you want, and try to limit yourself in your first year to two varieties.
4.) Don't get discouraged if only half of your rhizomes grow
5.) Don't get discouraged if you don't harvest the first year, I considered myself lucky to have harvested as much as I did from my first year rhizomes.

It's been 2 weeks and do fast only 2 Kent golding have sprouted. We've had some chilly weather so I'm hoping the rest will pop up here soon.

Who's only getting 20% of their rhizomes to grow? you may want to look into that, hops are some of the easiest plants I've ever grown, and I'm not even in the ideal zone

1st cascade popped out today. Planted 4 days ago......still waiting on the other cascade and 2 centennials which should be up in the next day or two

Update...now at 75% for sprouting. One cascade has 3 shoots the other just came up and has one shoot. One of the centennials has popped through the soil.

Last year we purchased 400 rhizomes to fill in and expamd field. 398 grew and are growing this year. This year we purchased another 1300 for expansion. So far. (They are only 3 weeks in) we are peobably already in the +85% range in growth of some kind. Just make sure your ready to grow when u buy. And dont over water them. They do like tonget wet. But ive found they like to damn near dry out before the next watwring.

I planted mine a week ago, but I barried them pretty deep, so no sign of sprouts yet.

I started 3 weeks ago in pots indoors (in a window). I take them outside on sunny days, and I am 12 for 12. Glacier is the slowest to pop, and only have 1 shoot a piece (a second one just popped today!).

Columbus, Nugget and Chinook are my 3 most vigorous, in that order.

My Cascades appeared to be my smallest and weakest rhizomes to start with (not happy about that). I didn't have much hope for them, because I literally did not see even one beginning of a shoot when I started them. However, they're winning the award for greatest comeback, they have like 3 shoots a piece now and are gaining FAST on the others.

Magnum has just been going steady, about 3-4 shoots a piece, but clearly not at vigorous as the others, but not as slow as my Glacier.

I'm on 2nd year. My Goldings never came up last year, which is too bad. My Fuggles struggled, but came back quick and strong this year. Centennial did best last year and are already about 2-3' tall already now. Cascade just coming up.

I confess to doing almost nothing to help them out last year besides watering them. This year, I've moved the 3 survivors into 20" pots and next to a chain link fence which gets more sun than any other part of the yard. Fingers crossed.

I started 3 weeks ago in pots indoors (in a window). I take them outside on sunny days, and I am 12 for 12. Glacier is the slowest to pop, and only have 1 shoot a piece (a second one just popped today!).

Columbus, Nugget and Chinook are my 3 most vigorous, in that order.

My Cascades appeared to be my smallest and weakest rhizomes to start with (not happy about that). I didn't have much hope for them, because I literally did not see even one beginning of a shoot when I started them. However, they're winning the award for greatest comeback, they have like 3 shoots a piece now and are gaining FAST on the others.

Magnum has just been going steady, about 3-4 shoots a piece, but clearly not at vigorous as the others, but not as slow as my Glacier.

My Glacier are always the slowest to grow and last to harvest. Nugget seem to be one of the first to harvest.

My second year Centennials sprouted a ton of shoots already. I didn't even get time to remove my insulating hay or fertilize the mounds here in upstate NY

My Goldings, Magnum and one cascade are up now. Still nothing from my Willamette or tettaneg. Do you still thing there's a chance of them coming up or should I get some more ASAP? they've been in the ground 3 weeks now.

Planted my first rhizomes this year in pots, and both have come up. I have 4 shoots from the Cascade, and 2 from the Centennial. So, 2 for 2 so far.

My Goldings, Magnum and one cascade are up now. Still nothing from my Willamette or tettaneg. Do you still thing there's a chance of them coming up or should I get some more ASAP? they've been in the ground 3 weeks now.

My Willamette took the longest. After two weeks, I put some extra chicken manure on all four of my rhizomes (Willamette, Sterling, Magnum, and Zeus). The sterling and magnum were already going well with four shoots apiece, but this is when my Willamette and Zeus really started to sprout. There is still only one shoot on the Willamette, but at least it's going now. You might try some extra nutrients if you haven't already.

I planted 4 of 7 varieties (transplants)

Centennial has a ton of sprouts coming up now. Plus one Leaf (It's a 3 year old plant)
Tettnang is just starting to sprout
Golding is growing like a freaking champ. It's like 2.5 ft tall. I swear you can watch it grow.
Fuggle has nothing yet.

I still need to plant:
Sterling
Cascade
Mt hood

But all three are actually sprouting in the buckets (with out dirt) I just don't have room. I'm letting a friend plant some and I may try to do buckets to see how they do.

Went out and looked again and found everything except the tettaneg! Guess I'll try leaving them alone and hopefully they'll show soon.

They're much more resilient than I thought. I planted 2 rhizomes each of cascade, glacier, and goldings about a month ago. After 2 weeks, I was wondering why I hadn't seen any growth at all. I also noticed the soil kept looking messed with. Unable to leave **** alone, I dug up the cascade to check for growth only to find that a neighbors cat had been using the spot for a litter box. I found lots of cat nuggets mixed in with the soil. I also found that the rhizomes ended up getting pushed about 6" under ground and seemed to be starting to rot. All of the others had been messed with as well, but they were still near the surface. I gave up after 3 weeks figuring they were getting too much water and cat feces. Now 5 of the 6 plants have shoots. I'm guessing that last one will end up growing in another week or so.

They're much more resilient than I thought. I planted 2 rhizomes each of cascade, glacier, and goldings about a month ago. After 2 weeks, I was wondering why I hadn't seen any growth at all. I also noticed the soil kept looking messed with. Unable to leave **** alone, I dug up the cascade to check for growth only to find that a neighbors cat had been using the spot for a litter box. I found lots of cat nuggets mixed in with the soil. I also found that the rhizomes ended up getting pushed about 6" under ground and seemed to be starting to rot. All of the others had been messed with as well, but they were still near the surface. I gave up after 3 weeks figuring they were getting too much water and cat feces. Now 5 of the 6 plants have shoots. I'm guessing that last one will end up growing in another week or so.

DUDE

I had the same problem here but I had a great fix for the problem. Just go to the local costume shop get the florescent hair spray kids use at Halloween and just decorate/spray the cat. I left a couple of paintball mines in the area and it works well when the neighbor asks if it was you just tell them hell yeah what do you want me to do kill her *****?

so far 5 out of 6 centenial have sprouted, 3 out of 5 for magnum and none of 3 galena have sprouted (although I planted the Galena several weeks after the magnum and centenial) so I think they just havent had enough time in the ground yet.

Here is an update, so far everything has sprouted except all 3 of my galena. not sure what happened to them. Do you usually have any trouble with them in particular?

Well, I guess I'll update as well. The two cascade never even broke through the ground after the cat kept messing with it. The glacier is about 8" high at this point, but not doing so well. Something is eating it. The Goldings made it about 6" high before something ate the entire sprout. So at this point, I'm 2 for 6 and that might end up being 0 for 6.

Oh man im sorry to hear that seabass, that sucks alot. I had something clip off the top of one bine, but I guess it didnt like it much because it didnt bother it again and it kept growing fine.

Back