Rhetorical Disfluencies that I Hate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Absorkee" instead of Absaroka, it's a town in MT & it's spelled Absaroka, it's NOT POSSIBLE to get the pronunciation of "absorkee" from the correct spelling.

Its amazing how many people from this state, even those that live in and around Absoraka pronounce it ab-SOHR'-kee instead of ab-SOHR'-kuh

Although, everyone I know pronounces Havre MT as HAV'-er but if we were to believe a certain NFL quarterback, and many sports announcers, it should be pronounced FAR'-ve! :p

Another one I hate is "Are you Serious?" NO, I'm f***in lying to you!

What about "drownded" and "drownding"? I hear these quite frequently. For example, "Did you hear about that guy from that town?"
"Yeah, he drownded in his pool."
"I can't imagine drownding. That would suck."
"I know, right?"

And that's another one... "I know, right?" I want to punch a kitten every time I hear that.

Lemonlade instead of lemonade
Expresso instead of espresso
Warsh instead of wash
Pop instead of soda or coke
Colorodo instead of colorado
Liqueur instead of liquor

"Get your/my ____ on."

"It's Friday, time to get your drink on!"

Termination with a preposition is the least of the problems with that phrase. Its use is grounds for an immediate cock punch.

"Get your/my ____ on."

"It's Friday, time to get your drink on!"

Termination with a preposition is the least of the problems with that phrase. Its use is grounds for an immediate cock punch.

As Churchill said: "This is the sort of bloody nonsense up with which I will not put."

eg: "That door needs painted" instead of "That door needs to be painted"

I hate that too. People at work not only speak that way but write that way as well.

I get annoyed when the word decimate is used instead of annihilate.

Love this one!

I will add a note of caution. No matter how perfect we may believe our grammar and pronunciation to be, there is always someone who thinks you're doing it wrong, probably for some good reasons. My wife is British and often points out syllables I leave out of don't distinctly pronounce.

Then I retaliate by asking why Leicestershire is pronounced Lester.

I'm sick of being told that my correctly written and punctuated English is too long winded. I'm being told by people who can't put together one coherent sentence that my sentences are too long, simply becuase they do not understand how to use punctuation. If I start a sentence and couch a secondary thought in, as I'm doing now, commas, then don't tell me the sentence is too long and runs together! Learn how to use punctuation you internet generation, textspeak moron.
It's a sign that people no longer read proper literature when they think a sentence over five words long and with correct punctuation runs together into incoherency.

I actually had this from one of my US colleagues, who replied to one of my mails saying he couldn't understand what I meant. I was lamenting the decline of the English language that day.

In Ireland we have some colloquealisms that really irritate.

Hang Sangwich for Ham Sandwich is possibly the worst and most painful to have to listen to.

Lemonlade instead of lemonade

....never heard that, but Ok.

Expresso instead of espresso

Agreed, along with axed instead of asked

Warsh instead of wash

Red neck dialect, you could include yall and a million others

Pop instead of soda or coke

Regional, good luck stomping that out. Also "COKE" referring to any pop (;))

Colorodo instead of colorado

.......what?

Liqueur instead of liquor

They are, in fact, different things.....

Bretzels, pasketti. I used to think people were ignorant if they mangled words. Now, I give people the time to prove their ignorance before I pass judgment. I went to Catholic school with mean penguins who would beat you with a wooden ruler for mispronouncing words. That “attention to detail” prejudice stuck with me for quite awhile. Since I grew up in NYC I have no accent problems (Qwahter, Cawfee, bee-ah, Jahnny).
ScalleyWag – MMC (SW) ? ETC Petey here.

Agreed, making fun of accents, or calling them WRONG (be they brooklyn, country, yooper, foriegn, whatever) is pretty phucking narrowminded and weak.

My complaints (irregardless and notated) involve take the RIGHT word (regardless, noted) and adding an extra syllable to sound smarter.........obviously WRONG and deplorable.

Accents or even use of the word "POP" to mean softdrink are regional or even cultural differences that are OK in my book.

Belittling those could only be for the purpose of making yourself feel important or smart. Be wary of that.

HEY! THERE'S ANOTHER!!!lol.

People are WEARY of something if they are tired of it. They are Wary of it (root of beware) if they are afraid or "aware" of the danger or risk. Wrongly used ALOT.

Accents or even use of the word "POP" to mean softdrink are regional or even cultural differences that are OK in my book.

Try growing up in Michigan, then moving to Tennessee and asking for a pop. I gave up, and now all liquids are referred to as soda.

And "it is what it is", that phrase makes me mad, and I don't even know why.

Try growing up in Michigan, then moving to Tennessee and asking for a pop. I gave up, and now all liquids are referred to as soda.

I have to admit to using that one. To most irate people, it calms them as if I had said something profound.

I guess that 100th one will explode in anger....and I'll know it's YOU!!;)

I'm sick of being told that my correctly written and punctuated English is too long winded. I'm being told by people who can't put together one coherent sentence that my sentences are too long, simply becuase they do not understand how to use punctuation. If I start a sentence and couch a secondary thought in, as I'm doing now, commas, then don't tell me the sentence is too long and runs together! Learn how to use punctuation you internet generation, textspeak moron.
It's a sign that people no longer read proper literature when they think a sentence over five words long and with correct punctuation runs together into incoherency.

So you like "fixing" run-on sentences with comma splices? That is certainly an interesting way to bemoan the death of proper punctuation.

I got another good one. How about when people say something like "So didn't he". When what they mean is "So DID he". Used in context it would go something like this: "I was at 7-11 with Tom and I got a 40 of Big Bear, and so didn't he!" WTF is wrong with people?

Ya, in TX (and a few other places) everything is a "coke," as in: "What kind of 'cokes' you got?"
Regards, GF.

Shorter sentences and less commas is an American English thing. English English uses longer sentences, especially in Literature. Both languages are still English though, just done differently.

I heard another one yesterday that I hate; Excape, instead of escape. That one makes my skin crawl.

I also hate ink!! It's a British moron thing....Simon Cowell uses it, so I know it must be a moron thing. Sentences ending with "ing" are ended in 'ink"

Nothink
Somethink
etc.......Arrrrgh!!! (Not a pirate aaaargh, an anguished aaaaargh)

Oh yes!!! People who pronounce a g at the end of aaaarrrgh when they think they sound like a pirate!!

Ok thanks for that LGI, I was thinking I was going crazy.
Proper English it is then. :)

My wife read the Harry Potter books out loud to me so we could both keep up with the series at the same time. Quite often, she would lose consciousness* during a long sentence because she didn't know she was allowed to breathe at the comma's. ;)

*Not a true fact.

For those getting caught up by the differences between American English and British English: American-British Dictionary

It has solved many language based arguments between my British wife and I.

Between my wife and me. Objects of a prepositional phrase always take the objective case, not the nominative. Even in Great Britain. :D

I've heard people say "El oh el!" before, and it made me want to punch them in the throat.

I've said that on more than one occasion. I've said it as "El of el," and "lawl" before. I thought it was novel at the time and it got a laugh when a conversation became exceptionally nerdy. It is still fun to say it in the appropriate situation (except if that situation is getting punched in the throat while saying it).

Some that I hate...

Assosheeits... it's associates.

Dubbayou... it's double-u.

Warshington... it's Washington

Pitcher... if you're not talking about something that holds water, it's picture.

I hate hearing "I'm not gonna lie..." ...and said person continues on with truthfulness. Until when does the lie not happen? Is it the next sentence? Does the rule that the speaker is not going to lie hold true only for a moment?

I've recently realized i say 'whatever' entirely too often. Its a very weak way to end discussions or to stop explaining difficult topics. I'll keep you guys posted on my progress.

and with properness with words and such, this guy speaks of people's literary non-sense:

http://www.wimp.com/frylanguage/

(Im not exempt from producing nonsensical textual works)

Back