Rhetorical Disfluencies that I Hate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How about "hot water heater"?

ha, I like this one.

Here is one that sometimes gets me: The use of the word "utilize" instead of "use". Or like chriswilkes33 recently pointed out in another thread, someone said "sachet" instead of "bag".

p.s. Why hasn't Yuri piped in on this yet? He's the one with the improper English phobia.

One that peeved me this morning...

"sit-chee-a-shun" instead of situation.

there's no Chee, Chi, or Cheeze, in "SIT-YOU-A-SHUN"

One that actually is probably MORE correct, but is still one I hate is when people over-pronounce the T's in written.

for me, I say it "ridden" with a little T in there somewhere. Just can't stand when people double pronounce it like "WRIT-TEN"

I am in the wrong, I know it, but I don't care. :)

for me, I say it "ridden" with a little T in there somewhere. Just can't stand when people double pronounce it like "WRIT-TEN"

That's just dialect. I hate the Ds in place of Ts, but what the hell, it's a living language, and we all have our nuances.

One that peeved me this morning...

"sit-chee-a-shun" instead of situation.

there's no Chee, Chi, or Cheeze, in "SIT-YOU-A-SHUN"

One that actually is probably MORE correct, but is still one I hate is when people over-pronounce the T's in written.

I feel uncomfortable just imagining you saying "ridden". What, do you have a cold? ;)

I hate the over use of the phrase "Suck my dick you stupid mother****er, I ****ed your mother and she was screaming for more. **** you, pencil dick!"

I dunno, why, but I hear it all the time and it's getting old.

"In my opinion, X." Really? I didn't know that was your opinion? I hadn't noticed it was you who was saying it? (I understand this can be used as a self-deprecation to temper a sommat bold statement, which is fine IMO).

Very. It literally has no meaning. If something was very cool, was it really very very cool? Or was it even very, very, very cool? Just dumb. Use a better word if if is more than just cool (e.g., awesome if it inspires awe, or incredible, or unbelievable if you are talking about a pink elephant on parade).

Disjointed paragraphs that have no theme or purpose.

Writing with no transitional phrases.

Starting every sentence of a paragraph with the same word or phrase.

"Absorkee" instead of Absaroka, it's a town in MT & it's spelled Absaroka, it's NOT POSSIBLE to get the pronunciation of "absorkee" from the correct spelling.

Anything along those lines really bugs me. It's like they considered trying to read the word, then gave up halfway through and made up syllables for the rest of the word.

Also, my MIL adds extra syllables to words all the time. I can't think of any off the top of my head but I'll post one if it comes up.

Anything along those lines really bugs me. It's like they considered trying to read the word, then gave up halfway through and made up syllables for the rest of the word.

Also, my MIL adds extra syllables to words all the time. I can't think of any off the top of my head but I'll post one if it comes up.

I have to say, if people LIVE there, you call it whatever TF they want.

Come here and call it Louis-ville, prounouncing the "S", and it will be apparent you aint from around here.
_
Likewise Versailles, pronounced versI might get you killed. It is, instead, VER SALES.;)

Sorry, if they live there, they outrank you.

Even worse than txt spk is literal txt spk - when idiots actually say things like "LOL" in spoken conversation.

Get out! Nobody really actually said "LOL" did they? I find that hard to believe, but it would be too weird to make it up.

I hope I'm not the "grammatically anal buddy" described in lschiavo's post. :(

Get out! Nobody really actually said "LOL" did they? I find that hard to believe, but it would be too weird to make it up.

I hope I'm not the "grammatically anal buddy" described in lschiavo's post. :(

No, I was not referring to you. I don't believe we have ever actually sat down to a heated grammar discussion...yet. (not that I would have much to add to the discussion...I used to not be able to spell engineer...now I are one...)

No, I was not referring to you. I don't believe we have ever actually sat down to a heated grammar discussion...yet. (not that I would have much to add to the discussion...I used to not be able to spell engineer...now I are one...)

Just for fun, I really wanted to edit your post to misspell "engineer" but I thought that would be a dirty trick. Funny, though!

Have you noticed that my daughter speaks like a Yooper with a bad sixth grade education? I've given up hope on correcting her grammar. I sometimes just cringe when she and Christopher have a conversation. "I seen them guys yesterday." "Oh ya? Like, what did youse say?" ARRRGGGGGGGHHHHHH!

Just for fun, I really wanted to edit your post to misspell "engineer" but I thought that would be a dirty trick. Funny, though!

Have you noticed that my daughter speaks like a Yooper with a bad sixth grade education? I've given up hope on correcting her grammar. I sometimes just cringe when she and Christopher have a conversation. "I seen them guys yesterday." "Oh ya? Like, what did youse say?" ARRRGGGGGGGHHHHHH!

The point was that I learned how to spell it but I am still stoopid:mug:

I think up here, we all speak like yoopers. We just dont realize it. Some are worse than others but I don't even notice anymore unless they are "flaming yoopers".

I remember being taught at school when I was about 9 years old that it was Arctic when referring to the southern polar region, and artic when referring to the north.....A couple of years ago, I came to realise that some teachers are dickwads. However, that piece of "wisdom" stayed with me until just a couple of years ago. My, how foolish I felt having got it wrong all those years. :(

I feel your pain, I had a teacher once try to tell me (and the rest of the class) that Tolkien was pronounced "Toykin." I felt the need to (politely) inform her of this mistake & soon found myself in the principal's office awaiting punishment for my temerity. Regards, GF.

Awesome. I doubt half of what people think is "Awesome" deserves an overwhelming feeling of reverence.

Nothing wrong with a little french RSVP is OK by me.
Bag vs Sachet, one just holds stuff, the latter imparts something to it's surroundings, the French are fun!!!
Now aside from the one "R" one allowed here,

IMHO- we know it's yours you wrote it
IMVHO - just more pretentious
YMMV - ?????

"I my humble opinion" conveys a complex thought somewhat like "take it or leave it" but not exactly, and is a handful to type.

It is OK IMHO.

WTF does OK stand for while we are at it?

My boss is fond of "begs the question" when what he means is "raises the question."

That one has practically slipped into common usage, as has the use of "effete" to mean "weak from decadence" when it really means "barren or no longer fertile."

I can't stand the omission of the verb "to be," as in "That freezer needs fixed."

I work in municipal planning, and people come in wanting to talk about the "right away" when what they mean is "right-of-way."

WTF does OK stand for while we are at it?

The letters, not to keep you guessing, stand for "oll korrect." They're the result of a fad for comical abbreviations that flourished in the late 1830s and 1840s. Read buttressed his arguments with hundreds of citations from newspapers and other documents of the period. As far as I know his work has never been successfully challenged.

:mug:

My boss is fond of "begs the question" when what he means is "raises the question."

That one has practically slipped into common usage, as has the use of "effete" to mean "weak from decadence" when it really means "barren or no longer fertile."

I can't stand the omission of the verb "to be," as in "That freezer needs fixed."

I work in municipal planning, and people come in wanting to talk about the "right away" when what they mean is "right-of-way."

:confused: Never ever heard effette.....and I listen!

Want to get into a fight at a sports bar?

Ridicule almost everyone about being, "Out of bounce".
Then there's the double and triple reverse.

Back