reyeasting for bottle conditioning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deputyandy

Reaction score
Got a BDSA going and i'm looking to bottle condition it. It's bulk aging in the secondary as we speak and i'm still a ways out before putting it into bottles. My concern is that after transferring to the secondary i'll need more yeast than whatever is in suspension at bottling time. I know people add yeast before bottle conditioning but i haven't been able to find much about it. I know some people use krausen, but i'm working with carboys and am unsure about how/if i can harvest krausen.

Do you guys use dry yeast? just sprinkle it into the bottling bucket?

Thanks in advance

there is no need for adding yeast before you are bottiling, there is enough suspended yeast in a "green beer" unless its a high alcohol brew. just boil water and LDME and add to the bucket when you bottling acording to the recepe.

this beer should come out pretty strong. its OG was 1.095 or so, haven't taken a current gravity in awhile though. How does high alcohol affect this?

I use 1/2 pkt of rehydrated dry yeast per 5 gallons. Any strain/type of beer yeast will do. All you're doing is fermenting the priming sugar.

I don't think you'll need to add yeast, but it won't hurt one bit. I've read that some use lager yeast like s-23 because it is a bottom fermenter, and stays there at the bottom of the bottle...

Back