Revolution Brewing in Chicago

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darkstar79

Reaction score
I read about this new place just opening up last month and decided to check it out on the way to the Furthur festival show last night. I definitely recommend it! Great brews, very nice bar and excellent food. The craftsmanship of the actual bar is incredible too with these huge forearms and fists with their chicago star-like logo crafted into the wood. I'm sure Ill be headed back there many more times.
Has anyone else checked it out?

I haven't been down there yet but have been trying to find time to go down there and try it out.

Since I moved to the north Burbs I haven't done squat in the city =( Sad day when I became a 'suburbanite'...

The wife and I went the day it opened, man was it packed! We didn't want to wait for a table so we just stayed to try their beers, which were great. I'm not sure about their food but the beer and the atmosphere was great. I"m looking forward to going back and having dinner there.

Going to have to check it out, maybe I'll try to pop down there next Wednesday since it's really the only time I make it down to the city...

Keep hearing about it since I follow Ray Daniels on Twitter and I guess he is one of the owners or investors behind the place. Sounds pretty cool, but unfortunately a bit far for me to check out.

I do hope to check it out in August when i go out there for a wedding.

Keep hearing about it since I follow Ray Daniels on Twitter and I guess he is one of the owners or investors behind the place. Sounds pretty cool, but unfortunately a bit far for me to check out.

I do hope to check it out in August when i go out there for a wedding.

I'll bring out a bottle when I'm in Denver in a few weeks then :mug:

I live exactly 4 blocks away. Its tons of fun to hang in there. The food is EXCELLENT. Very very good.

The beers are ok. Not bad at all, slightly above average. I do enjoy drinking them.. I'm only a year into AG brewing, but I brew literally every weekend, and I keep learning and learning..

That being said- something is going on at this place. Either they are using house yeast (in everything but the belgian, obviously), or they are mashing everything at the exact same temp. The beers are all dry and thin. Not a huge problem, but the 8% abv Black Power Oatmeal stout is exactly as thin and dry as the 5% Cross of Gold pale ale. The 8% Wee Heavy Imperial scottish ale is exactly as thin and dry as the previously two listed beers and the 6% Iron Fist pale ale.

Think Three Floyds Robert the Bruce. Arent Scottish Ales supposed to be mashed really high so they are sweet and thick? Think 8% oatmeal stouts. Arent they supposed to be mashed high so they are sweet and thick too? Isnt that one of oatmeal's main contributions to a beer? Thickness and full body? Why are Revolutions beers all the same thinness and dryness?

So what does that tell us? They are all being mashed at the same temp? House yeast that finishes dry? Thats my $0.02, but I'm sure someone with much more experience has better thoughts.

Either way- go there. Go there ASAP. The food is amazing and so is the atmosphere. The beers are def above average and its a great time in there. Go check it out ASAP

:mug:

I tried to go the week after it opened. It was crazy busy with a two hour wait on a WEDNESDAY! Decided to say screw it and get ribs at Fat Willy's instead . Not sure if RevBrew has calmed down yet or not, but when it does, I look forward to sipping on their Workingman Mild Ale.

Yes, I have been to barley house. I like it, good beer selection. It's always crowded though. I like to go to dukes ale house better they have just as many good beer and great locally purchased products.

Still waiting to go to RevBrew. I live about 6 blocks away and just saw it for the first time about a month ago. Anyone know of specials, samplings,tours of the brewery, or a good time to go with the the SWMBO?

If you go to Hop Leaf, I find upstairs more intimate. You can only get bottles, they have a great selection but they are not a brewery. Map Room is also a great bar to go to, they have a beer menu like a restaurant menu. They specialize in Belgium's and man do they have some top stuff. Its also where the Chicago Beer Society meets every 3rd Wednesday of the month. So come on by if you can make it.

Back