Reviews on equipment websites

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vesteroid

Reaction score
I have purchased quite the array of products in my 3 months since I got into home brewing. I have spent some significant money (for me) on equipment.

I have mainly patronized moorbeer and Midwest as well as my local brew shop. I try to give my local shop business for the things they carry, but major equipment like kettles and conicals they simply have a very limited selection.

I have had some very good experiences, and some that could have gone better.

Several times now I have decided to add reviews to websites for products I purchased and have used.

In no way we're the reviews slanted to negativity, rather I always pointed out the positives of the product, but also the shortcomings I ran into.

Not once has one of my reviews been posted on the web site and that includes moor beer and Midwest.

I don't understand the purpose of reviews if they only select the ones that give them 4-5 stars and ignore the ones where users point out real life issues with the product design or quality.

Anyone else had their reviews not published?

I think it breaks the transparency that having a reviews section suggests the vendor has. It's completely dishonest. However, you should contact them and ask why. It's possible that you have to be logged in to be verified as an actual customer of the product. That kind of safeguard keeps non customers from defaming for ulterior motives.

The only reviews I ever remove are ones where a customer gives me permission due to a complete misunderstanding. I will also edit reviews with profanity, but only to remove those words and not the whole review. There are times when I get a 1 or 2 star that I feel is undeserved and the most I will do is post a rebuttal.

Midwest and Northern Brewer are well known for only posting positive reviews. I didn't know Morebeer did it as well - too bad.

Bought rhizomes from most of the online vendors, including the extremely discounted ones from RiteBrew, and hands down Morebeer was the worst. They mailed me a bunch of "wet sticks in a bag". All the other retailers had at least a little bit of green on them

I wrote several reviews a months apart on a fridge we purchased at a local electronics store.....they never posted one of them....i contacted them and they gave me a run around saying their reviews are handled by a third party....blah blah blah....i ended up writing to the owner of the company who said he would look into it....never heard from them again.....too bad cause they lost my business for good....and this was right before we were refurbishing our kitchen and ended up spending some $6k on all new appliances......

One more reason I seem to shop at amazon more than anywhere else.

Even though you have to take some of the reviews with a grain of salt, you at least see the good and bad and can get an overall feel if the product fits your needs or not.

I will add that even though I had a product from more beer that I disliked so much I sent it back, they did take it back, including paying the shipping back with no issue what so ever. They just would not let me post about its shortfalls.

Midwest gave me the corporate run around line of if you dont like it, too bad.

I dont shop with them any longer.

Back