Review - SS Chronical 7 Gallon Conical with FTSS Temperature Control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Berk

Reaction score
Started this in a new thread dedicated to the review of the: SS Chronical 7 Gallon Conical with FTSS Temperature Control.

Brewed my first lager, an Oktoberfest, on 2/7. SG 1.050. Oxygenated the wort for 60 seconds. Had a Wyeast 2633 starter on the stirplate for 21 hours prior @ 67 degrees. Pitched full starter at 65 degrees (not decanted). The FTSS took the temp down to 50 in less than an hour after pitching. Fermentation was evident by the next morning.

Ambient temp in my garage fluctuates from 45 to 65 daily. I do have the FTSS holding the temp between 50 and 53 as the highest, according to the thermowell. The chill water is in a 5 gallon corny keg filled with water, in my 35 degree keezer.

I dumped trub after the first 4 days, there was hardly any trub. It probably was not necessary.

On Day 7, I dropped the set point to 49 degrees. Fermentation has been steady and evident through day 12. Gravity is 1.025. I tasted the wort when I took the gravity reading, there is a strong sulfur smell but is tasted great. Seems to be a good amount of carbonation in the wort.

Pushed set temp to 52 degrees, starting to head towards the rest period. Was thinking 2 degrees every day for the next 4 days. Let it stay at .060 for 3 days and then rack to a keg for lagering at 35 degrees.

Couple of things that impress me about the Chronical and FTSS combo:
Taking samples for gravity readings is super easy and I feel I have much less risk of infection over buckets.
The temperature stabilization system really works! I put a second thermometer in the middle thermowell and it is exact with the lid's thermowell reading.

So far, so good!
:mug:

Beersmith said it would be at 1.020 at day 14. I was at 1.020 at day 13.5. Sample tasted great. I warmed it up to test for diacetyl, no butterscotch flavor but doing the rest for 3 days. Beersmith says I should be at 1.011 in 3 days. I'll start stepping it down when I hit my FG.

I hooked up the FTSS to a bucket of warm (110 degree) water and it shot from 50 to 62 in 3 minutes. I let it stabilize and its hanging at 60.4. Pretty impressed with the FTSS control on temps. Ambient temp in my garage is about 55 today.

Hit an FG of 1.011 right on target yesterday. Dumped the trub, took 15 minutes, it was quite constipated.
Lowering the temp 1 degree a day for the next 30 days.

A comment: Beersmith cannot accurately predict final gravity with any great degree of precision. It is an estimate based on the recipe and the predicted attenuation of the yeast used. There are many factors which could cause the final gravity to end higher or go lower.

The fermenter looks great! Too bad it is way out of my budget range...:(

Nice setup,how would this handle lagering? Think it could maintain 40 deg or so without using glycol?

Nice setup,how would this handle lagering? Think it could maintain 40 deg or so without using glycol?

We shall see, down to 56 today. On the way to 36 using 1 degree per day. Ambient temp in the garage is approx 47. I'm heating using a 5 gallon pail with 78 degree water and a fish tank heater. When I get down to 47, I'll switch to cooling using a 5 gallon corny keg in my keezer at 36. In the past, at a 55 ambient temp I have had to use ice in the keg during cooling/hard fermentation to maintain 50.

Back