Reversed color layer in my first batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frostman

Reaction score
IMG_0405.jpg

It just means the bottom is clearer than the top. :) You still have what looks like yeast suspended in the beer. Try lowering the temp at least to the 50º range, or to fridge temps, and wait another 48 hours. This usually will encourage the suspended material to sink.

looks awesome! congrats on the first batch!

and it looks darker than it will be just because of how much beer the light is trying to get through in that big-a$$ fermenter. you'll see a better indication of the eventual color in a hydrometer jar when you take a gravity sample

You didn't happen to cold crash with a blow off tube attached did you? It looks a little like batches I've seen that got star san sucked back. If you didn't do that then I agree with the others I wouldn't worry about it.

If there is any stratification, when you rack to bottling bucket, it AIH get a gentle stir to mix the priming solution. All will then equal. Or something like that. Looks good.
Brew on.

One of my friends asked me if I was missing any StarSan. He's had similar experiences with his conical fermenters. It seemed unlikely as I pitched the yeast at 65 F. At high krausen it had risen to 68 F. My basement is 63 F. Apparently the change in temp was sufficient to suck back Star San to fill the tube. I have not cold crashed it yet. I just checked on it and much to my dismay watched a drop or two of StarSan plop down on top of the beer out of the 1" blowoff tube. It's been very windy here the past couple of days. Guess I'll rack the beer off below the color line and dry hop it in the secondary and keep my fingers crossed. Thanks to all for all your replies. I'm going to build a two chamber blowoff reservoir so it doesn't happen again. Cheers!

One of my friends asked me if I was missing any StarSan. He's had similar experiences with his conical fermenters. It seemed unlikely as I pitched the yeast at 65 F. At high krausen it had risen to 68 F. My basement is 63 F. Apparently the change in temp was sufficient to suck back Star San to fill the tube. I have not cold crashed it yet. I just checked on it and much to my dismay watched a drop or two of StarSan plop down on top of the beer out of the 1" blowoff tube. It's been very windy here the past couple of days. Guess I'll rack the beer off below the color line and dry hop it in the secondary and keep my fingers crossed. Thanks to all for all your replies. I'm going to build a two chamber blowoff reservoir so it doesn't happen again. Cheers!

Don't worry about the starsan. Some of the best beers I've ever made had a cup or two of starsan solution sucked back into them. It won't cause any issues, and won't affect the taste at all (unless you suck back a LOT)

Back