Reverse Osmosis System Recommendation Please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We field lots of phone calls every single day from people in your shoes. Just give us a call and we'll walk you through. We don't bite - I promise!

Russ
513-312-2343

Last edited:
I'm getting anxiety looking at all these different setups and options on the buckeye website.
I'm looking for a setup that can get me my water (around 9 gallons) in a couple hours. Would only use it for brewing and coffee.
I REALLY can't decide if I want to bother with a holding tank or float valve shutoff.
I have one from Bulk Reef Supply- I think it's the 75 GPD one. I've been using it for 4 years, strictly for brewing water and coffee. It takes about 3 hrs to get 8 gallons or so.
Buckeye Hydro is a good vendor. Cant remember why i went with BRS, maybe it may have been a bit cheaper.

I'm getting anxiety looking at all these different setups and options on the buckeye website.
I'm looking for a setup that can get me my water (around 9 gallons) in a couple hours. Would only use it for brewing and coffee.
I REALLY can't decide if I want to bother with a holding tank or float valve shutoff.

I just use one of my kettles as the holding tank (HLT for me). Worst case come brew day, I don't need to collect as much water.

Russ @Buckeye_Hydro helped me put together and tune my 100gpd system and it reliably puts out four gallons per hour taking my 300+ tds deep well water down to 7. Don't futz around on your own...

Cheers!

+1 to this as well. I have a 100gpd from Buckeye, reasonably priced and good service. 13.3 min/gal (4.5 gal/hr) on my plumbing and consistent enough to use a timer relay and motorized valve to fill kettles for brew day. And if you are looking for ways to have the RO system run on a regular basis, I've got it hooked up to a carbonated water keg and the same motorized valve (installed on the RO inlet) just opens 20 minutes/day to keep the keg full.

There are lots of ways to automate these RO systems. One I like is to have the RO permeate (RO water) go to a float valve in a tank, where the tank can be anything from a 5+ gallon poly tank to a kettle to a HLT or CLT. If that tank is prone to evaporation, and you want to keep the tank full, but don't want the RO kicking on and off 10 times a day every time the tank evaporates an 1/8" of water, then control the water feeding the RO with a timer valve. Doesn't need to be anymore complicated or expensive than something like this:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Orbit-1...ERCH=REC-_-pipsem-_-202819560-_-100126132-_-N
Russ

Is there a system that I can use with just garden hose in/out and for waste water?
I brew in my basement and have hose bibs right in my brew area and a large utility sink for waste water. Trying to keep this simple and just hook it up for when I want brewing water.

Can you feed a system with a hose, and run the waste water away from the system with another garden hose?

Sure. All you need is a hose bib adapter to take you from 1/4" or 3/8" OD tubing to garden hose threads
https://www.buckeyehydro.com/feedwater-fittings/
Remember that ANY ro system should be run at least once a week.

Russ
I'm gonna send you some pics of my brew area later and see what you suggest. I cannot figure out what I want. I think a storage tank might not be a terrible idea too.
SO undecided

Latest posts

Back