Reverse Osmosis (RO) question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bostonbrewin

Reaction score
Have to ask a stupid question but I feel like i'm missing something really obvious in all the RO discussion I've read here...

Is the only way to get RO water to buy a filtration system?

Looking at some of the recommendations it seems like the most inexpensive is 100+ bucks but given the frequency RO water is mentioned in recipes I'm wondering if this is something you can just buy without investing in filtration system.

Thanks for any advice you have.

A lot of big stores have an RO dispensing machine out front. If you don't know where, you can buy distilled water from Walmart for 88 cents a gallon. I go through so much RO that the $100 was paid for in a year and I don't have to leave the house. It's also great for running into your icemaker, for coffee, humidifiers and clothes irons.

Have to ask a stupid question but I feel like i'm missing something really obvious in all the RO discussion I've read here...

Is the only way to get RO water to buy a filtration system?

Looking at some of the recommendations it seems like the most inexpensive is 100+ bucks but given the frequency RO water is mentioned in recipes I'm wondering if this is something you can just buy without investing in filtration system.

Thanks for any advice you have.

Many of the water systems outside of perhaps on the inside of walgreens, walmart, or other stores use RO systems. My local store has one that sells water for 35 cents a gallon. If you dont want to invest the money up front then simply take a large 5 gal bucket and fill one or two of them up depending on how much you need. You can get 10 gallons of water for like 3 to 4 bucks a brew. Super cheap. Hope this helps

Back