Reusing Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dogslapbrewery

Reaction score
I've been wanting to get into washing and reusing my yeast. Wondering what technics you guys use and what i should look out for?

I looked at washing yeast and instead decided it was easier to grow a large starter and save some fresh instead of having to wash it after fermentation. You still get a batch of healthy yeast to store, but you don't have to worry about the dead cells and trub.
(But washing seems to have a strong following so their must be something about it that makes it worth the extra trouble, I'm just missing it...)

Don't need to wash/rinse, whatever you want to call it. Just dump your yeast cake into a sanitized mason jar, (preferably one with ml marked on the outside). Then using Mr. Malty Slurry tab to calculate how much of the slurry to pitch. I usually use my saved yeast within a couple weeks of harvest, so no need for a starter (if you have enough slurry).

Back