Reusing yeast in fermentor timeframe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatherdan

Reaction score
Use a 7.9gall bucket fermentor. How long after I rack my beer to a keg will the yeast stay usable as long as I seal up fermentor and return to fridge(same temp as when I was cold crashing it)

If pitching onto a yeast cake do I want to swirl it around or even scoop half of it out??

This is not something ill be doing all the time, im just not ready to harvest it and clean it yet.

Thanks

You could ofcourse just put some of the slurry in a sanitized yar and keep in in the refrigerator.

That way you could clean the fermenter and when you are ready to pitch, just take it out a few hours in advance to heat to pitching temperature.

You could ofcourse just put some of the slurry in a sanitized yar and keep in in the refrigerator.

That way you could clean the fermenter and when you are ready to pitch, just take it out a few hours in advance to heat to pitching temperature.

Yeah. I did not want to reuse fermentor without cleaning it. But if I rack to keg,and,run,out of time I was curious if I could zeal it back up in the fermentor. Keep it refrigerated and come back to it a few,days later. Sounds,like I could safely split a batch of slurry and reuse within a couple weeks,with good sanitary practice and keeping refrigerated.? Thanks

You would probably be ok even though it is not best practice ofcourse.

I ended up just buying new yeast...i'll get setup in the meantime to reuse my yeast properly

thanks

Back