reusing yeast from watermelon beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

d_k_8

Reaction score
I have a watermelon wheat that I am about to bottle up. If I reuse the yeast (us-05) from this batch, will it impart watermelon flavors in my next beer? The last time I brewed this watermelon wheat I just dumped the yeast, but I am curious..

I would not repitch yeast for a different style.

I would also not repitch dry yeast as the cost, to me, of buying new outweighs the trouble. Unless you just go full caveman and dump your new beer on top of the cake.

I’ve reused yeast in different style beers before without any issues. In fact, in the watermelon wheat I brewed last summer I used London Fog yeast that I’d gotten from an earlier IPA and it turned out great. Would this yeast having been used in a watermelon beer create any off flavors (other than watermelon)? Will it even create any watermelon flavors if I don’t add watermelon to the next brew (not planning to)? Basically, what would the risks be?

I use the catalyst fermenter so my yeast is in a nice little mason jar ready to go in the fridge if I want. And, as for dry yeast being cheap (definitely!), free is even cheaper! 😋

Most people struggle to get solid watermelon flavor in their beer, let alone any hanging around from a re-pitch. I’ve never done it but it wouldn’t stop me from doing so. Personally, I wouldn’t sweat it, but that’s just me.

As dry yeast pushes north of 5 US dollars, I’m definitely reusing. After fermentation I typically spilt in two, reuse both, split in two, reuse all four, etc out to about 4 or 5 generations. That adds up considerably.

do eet!

I'm a cheap-ass brewer... cutting costs wherever I can... This would be a no brainer for me...

If I was aiming for a specific style for a competition? maybe not.... But just for a regular house
ale? No sweat...

If you taste something off? don't do it again... If not? You saved $5 ... Cha-ching :thumbsup:

Most people struggle to get solid watermelon flavor in their beer, let alone any hanging around from a re-pitch. I’ve never done it but it wouldn’t stop me from doing so. Personally, I wouldn’t sweat it, but that’s just me.

Yeah, the WW is a 2.5 gallon batch and it took 4 cups of fresh watermelon juice (from half a big watermelon) to get enough watermelon flavor that you can actually tell it's watermelon. My next batch will likely be a pale ale or attempt at a neipa, so even a slight melon flavor would not be terrible anyways.

If you taste something off? don't do it again... If not? You saved $5 ... Cha-ching :thumbsup:

yeah that's kind of where I'm at! 🍻

If you are worried about it, next time just make a starter, pitch half of the starter and save the other half for future brews.
I think you'll be fine re-pitching the yeast you have.

Latest posts

Back