Reusing Starsan Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hudsonj6

Reaction score
I've done some searching but can't seem to find a definate answer. I bottled yesterday using a starsan for the first time that I mixed it up with RO water in a 1 gallon milk jug. I also picked up a bottle sanitizer that worked amazing and more than halved the time it previously took to sanitize bottles. Only problem is that it takes a lot of starsan solution to work properly and was just wondering if the used solution could be returned to a storage container and reused later as long as it remained clear and maintained its pH. I dumped it yesterday but I'm just curious for the future.

Sure! You can keep a star-san solution indefinitely as long as it's not cloudy and the pH is right. I think it's less than 3, but I can't remember. I mix up only a gallon at a time, and it lasts through a month or more of brewdays. I don't check the pH, as it is only around until it's gone- that is, I missed the jug pouring it back or something like that!

I used the same solution for two batches that were about 2 weeks apart. I dumped it after the second batch, since I figure fresh sanitizer is a small price to pay for good beer. IIRC, they say starsan is good for 3 weeks of storage, but I'm sure you could go more.

Yes. There's no reason not to, but honestly the vinator doesn't use all that much starsan since it recirculates the sanitizer. It's what a couple cups? After 54 bottles that little bit of sanitizer's probably not as potent as the rest of it in the gallon jug.

I make up small batches of starsan, but except for what I pre-mix and store in a quart spray bottle, I really don't put used starsan back with fresh starsan.

Back