Reusing Kveik yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

porterguy

Reaction score
Hopefully I haven't already screwed this up. I just finished bottling a batch of beer, and saved a couple of scoops of the Hornindal kveik slurry, Can I just refrigerate it overnight or for a couple days , and then pitch it in a new batch?

Thanks!

In my experience with Voss kveik, you can refrigerate it for over a year, and it'll be fine. Haven't used Hornindal, though.

I always dry a part of my slurry. Then i store the flakes in my freezer. I get around 30g of flakes every batch

I smear it out very thin on a baking paper. Then let it dry with a fan blowing air on it. Normally dries in 5h

Like this
IMG_20200608_091110.jpg
IMG_20200610_121520.jpg

Thanks for sharing. Never would have thought we would have dried peanut butter yeast. It is working for you but it seems this would be horrible from a contamination point of view.

Yes but the Kveik has always been used like this. In Norway the farmers dried the yeast on logs or even sticks. Kveik is really strong

on a show called the Booze Traveler they showed a farmer making beer.
he took a piece of wood from the rafters in his brew shed and put in the wort.
the segment made me cringe at how they brew verse us. we clean and sanitize and atleast this farmer had the doors open horse blankets around and not worried about contamination.
anyway i believe they said it was a special strain of yeast handed down and every farmer has a little different version.
i imagine its just the bugs, but no refrigeration for the yeast. the farmer would take it out and hang it back up:eek:
I bet it was some form of Kveik

Lol yea that is how they do it on the farms in Norway . I just love how you can harvest the Kveik so easy. I will never ever have to buy yeast again. And one funny thing is, in say 5 years ahead, i will be using the "same" yeast as i harvested this March. 😀

Kveik is about as hardy as it comes, and incredibly small pitch rates still work out well. 3/4 cup is more than enough for Hornindal to do its job.

I've read anywhere from 1 tsp. of yeast to 3/4 cup for a 5 gallon batch. That's a pretty wide range. And most things say underpitching is better. So, thoughts on quantity to pitch (I'm brewing either today or tomorrow)?

Thanks!

I've read anywhere from 1 tsp. of yeast to 3/4 cup for a 5 gallon batch. That's a pretty wide range. And most things say underpitching is better. So, thoughts on quantity to pitch (I'm brewing either today or tomorrow)?

Thanks!

Safe is the whole amount. I'd probably pitch 1/4 cup. If you really want to stress the yeast... couple teaspoons or a tablespoon.

Has anybody else read the info regarding some kveiks should be top-cropped, and some should be bottom-harvested (if that's the right term)? I found out too late that Hornindal is listed as a "bottom-harvest". Will that make any difference and if so, what? As you can tell, I'm just getting into the kveiks. Sorry for all the questions.

Back