Reuse Heini Mini Kegs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AACJ

Reaction score
I was wondering about reusing a mini keg that's purchased from the grocery store. I've seen in the stores recently some Heinekin mini kegs that would have been perfect for our beach trip last month with another family. We went thru the two cases of Mexican Cerveza that I made and had to go out and buy commercial beer :drunk: :mad: .

Is it possible to reuse a keg like that? I think I'm gonna buy one anyway and make up my own tap system if theirs in only made for one use.

Any thoughts from you guys? I've seen some mini kegs at my local homebrewers store but had reservations on buying them from the articles I've been reading on this forum.

Thanks for the links guys. I think I'm still going to buy the Heini keg just to try while I wait for a day to make my next brew. It's still beer and a little cost for the keg but if I can make it work, might be something new we can all try.

My next brew BTW is a John Bull Wheat beer. I'm hoping to be able to get it in going this week when I have a few off days at work.

Thanks for the links guys. I think I'm still going to buy the Heini keg just to try while I wait for a day to make my next brew. It's still beer and a little cost for the keg but if I can make it work, might be something new we can all try.

My next brew BTW is a John Bull Wheat beer. I'm hoping to be able to get it in going this week when I have a few off days at work.

One more link for you https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/heineken-mini-keg-60710/

Look at the cut away picture at the bottom. The internal CO2 canister is attached to the bottom before it is attached to the rest of the keg.

You would be better off getting a Warsteiner or Bells or any number of other brands available in standard mini kegs than the Heineken (and Newcastle) "Draught Keg". You are never going to be able to adequately clean the heini kegs once the internal CO2 canister is depleted and your beer works it's way back into the CO2 canister.

Not sure where your located but here is a sampling of beers in mini-kegs

Back