Resume Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brutus Brewer

Reaction score
I have a question for anyone who may be able to help me out. My wife recently went back to school to become a teacher, and how has her license and is sending out resumes. She is in a rather bad spot of having more education and basically zero experience than other recent grads, and the way teachers are currently paid in Ohio the more education you have the more you can get paid; she is 2 classes from her Masters Degree. My question, is it OK for her to put on her resume or cover letter that she understands the position she is in and expects to be paid what a starting teacher with only a bachelors degree would make, or don't even bring it up?

My understanding is starting salaries are pretty standard and the school pays for ongoing education, master's degree. I may be wrong but this is from a teacher in Jersey.

Personally, I wouldn't put that on the cover letter. However, it is something that should be brought up in the first interview to the effect of, "I know I may seem overqualified given my level of education but I don't expect to be paid any more than a candidate with similar experience and only a bachelors degree."

On the resumes I've written for myself, I remember there was a section describing what your intent is for submitting that resume - I think it was called a summary. Maybe put something to the effect of "Seeking a position of (blah blah blah) with pay commensurate with my level of experience." It seems to me that if you didn't somehow mention it on the resume, there's a possibility that she might get passed over for an interview without getting the opportunity to bring it up.

But, I'm also not a hiring manager or anywhere near the position of interviewing people so I don't know how offensive that may sound.

Wouldn't put it on the cover letter. Discuss it if it comes up in the interview or when salary requirements are brought up. Don't assume it will be an issue.

I have been an Executive Recruiter for the last 11 years. I source and evaluate resumes day in and day out.

No, do not mention salary expectations on resume of CV. A good place to address this issue would be in the OBJECTIVE section on the resume being the first section. Clearly state her objective and willingness to start out on the ground floor as she continues her educational career.

Back