Restart Fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marcog59

Reaction score
Hi
Newby cidermaker here. I've Just started a batch of cider 3 weeks ago trying the wild yeast fermentation method. After 3 weeks it seems to basically have stopped and when I taste it feels pretty dry and light. At least not gone to vinegar! Is it possible to restart the fermentation using is using some new commercial yeast and a bit of sugar or honey?

Welcome to the site! Yes, it certainly is.

Good luck.
Thanks!! I'll have at it trying different batches with honey, sugar, commercial yeast, raisins, cinnamon sticks and cloves.... we'll see what happens!

Did you add sugar, or was it just juice? If it was just juice, fermentation is probably done. I rack to secondary at two weeks and keg at four.

What @RolandD said,
Best way to know for sure is to check your Specific Gravity with a hydrometer. (Sounds from your description it might be nearlg done.)

Thanks, yes it was just juice. SG is 1.00 pretty dry and light though. I kept 1 demijon as is ( siphoned to clarify a bit) , and will leave it for another couple of weeeks. tried variations on the other 3. Too many apples from 1 tree this year. Son became a beekeeper this year 🤣. I've had a UBREW do it for me last 3 years and this is the first year I do it myself. Only have enough bottles for 2 demis though so I'm thinking ill just bottle the best 2 and cap the other 2 demijohns?

I consider 1.00 to be done. I stabilize with potassium metabisulfite and potassium sorbate, sweeten and force carb in keg. It's usually ready to drink in two or three days. A five gallon keg lasts me about two weeks.

When bottling you have four choices, don't stabilize but sweeten so it's not dry and pasturize once carbed for for a sweet sparkling cider, don't stabilize but add just enough sugars to carb for a dry sparkling cider, don't stabilize but add just enough sugar to carb and add non-frementable sugar for a sweet sparkling cider, or stabilize and sweeten for a sweet still cider.

I don't like any of these options, so I keg.

Back