Request for recipe help... TG Pompeii clone or approximation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baglorious

Reaction score
Good morning all. I've really fallen in love with TG Pompeii, and want to attempt a clone... or something even close. I have reviewed this site, and searched the internet... and there is very little information about a possible clone (or even much of a guess).

I have reviewed the thread relating to Pseudo Sue extensively (and I like Pseudo Sue a lot as well): Toppling Goliath pseudoSue - Can you clone it?

There are recipes included for Pseudo Sue that seem vetted by numerous users in that post, with variations and tweaks, of course. There are some consistencies to guesses of the Pseudo Sue grain bill, and some consistencies to the usage of hops. (And the hops being Citra, of course.)

The info from TG says that Mosaic is the 'featured' hop in Pompeii... though it doesn't say it is a single hopped beer. Some posts and info suggest, however, that it is.

My best thought for a Pompeii clone is simply to pick one of those Pseudo Sue recipes and substitute mosaic hops for the citra hops... and see what comes out. (For yeast, I'd probably use S-04.)

Frankly... I'm not terribly worried about failure, as I'm sure whatever it ends up being will be tasty, and a fun experiment. However, I'd like to see if anyone has tried a Pompeii clone or approximation... and has any confidence in part of their 'guesses' of any parts of a recipe being correct. Please let me know if you have any ideas.

Thanks in advance.

Using a Sue clone recipe and swapping in mosaic will be a good start I think. Pompeii tends to be a bit clearer on average. I’m not sure if that is related to hop lots that they select, or if that is related to process. It’s also slightly lower abv since they moved everything to the new brewery.

The trick is going to be getting some extremely high quality mosaic hops. They are able to pull flavors out of that hop that I’ve never had from any other brewery.

I had read the issue of getting the "good" mosaic hops. Unfortunately, lol, I have access to what homebrewers have access to. I think I have a pound in the freezer that I bought on clearance. Top notch I'm sure. (But... I've got 'em, so I'll 'dance with who brung me' so to speak.)

Thanks for the response. Anyone else with any ideas?

I had read the issue of getting the "good" mosaic hops. Unfortunately, lol, I have access to what homebrewers have access to. I think I have a pound in the freezer that I bought on clearance. Top notch I'm sure. (But... I've got 'em, so I'll 'dance with who brung me' so to speak.)

Thanks for the response. Anyone else with any ideas?
And as far as yeast goes, definitely use S04. It helps if you can wake it up in a starter before pitching--it gets rid of some of the weird tartness.

Glad I found your post. I love Pompeii too and looked all over for a clone recipe.
Unfortunately, I don't have much to add other than I have brewed the Pseudo Sue recipe a few times and have really liked it. I also was planning to use that recipe as a starting place for Pompeii, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Have you tried brewing the Sue recipe and sub'ing in mosaic yet? I might make an attempt now, just picked up some mosaic lupomax.

hey @MrPowers are you suggesting getting rid of the S04 tartness just for a Pompeii attempt? B/c I typically pick it up in the TG Sue I have had.

I haven't tried this brew yet... but do still plan on it. Unfortunately (for this attempt at least), I got distracted by this article: Top Recipes to Homebrew the Most Iconic Hazy IPAs Ever - Beer Maverick

I am brewing one of these this week (Fruity Nuggets), followed by an English Bitter of some sort (per my brother in-law's request)... THEN I'm going to get to the Pompeii attempt. ;-)

I haven't tried this brew yet... but do still plan on it. Unfortunately (for this attempt at least), I got distracted by this article: Top Recipes to Homebrew the Most Iconic Hazy IPAs Ever - Beer Maverick

I am brewing one of these this week (Fruity Nuggets), followed by an English Bitter of some sort (per my brother in-law's request)... THEN I'm going to get to the Pompeii attempt. ;-)

Never heard of that beer or brewery! Not that you don't already have too many options, but you should check out the Trillium Melcher St. thread. If you favor mosaic, its a great showcase for it.

Please give us an update if/when you brew the Pompeii attempt and I will do the same. Good luck. :mug:

Back