Request for Induction Equipment Information

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geoffm33

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
There are some great threads going regarding using induction heating for homebrewing and a few common questions keeps coming up. If you are homebrewing with an induction cooker then post some answers in the following format so we can create a little "Induction FAQ". I'll update the list below with your responses.

Copy and paste the 5 bullets below into your post to answer. Please try to post a link to the exact model kettle you are using so there is no confusion:

• Induction Burner:
• Model # of Kettle:
• Batch Size:
• Heats xx gals to mash temps in xx mins
• Heats xx gals from mash to boil in xx mins

================================================

COUNTERTOP INDUCTION BURNERS

Avantco IC3500 Countertop Induction Range / Cooker - 208/240V, 3500 Watt

Batch Size: ~14 gallons
• 62qt Bayou / Avantco 3500 / wrapped kettle (ref)

Batch Size: 12 gallons
• 15 Gallon Tall Boy
• 65-172 deg. (approx. strike temp) - 60 minutes
• 172-212 deg. - 36 minutes
• 1 hour boil
• 1.5 gallon boil off

Batch Size: 4.5gal/7.5gal (ref)
• Induction Burner: Avantco IC3500 Countertop Induction Range / Cooker - 208/240V, 3500 Watt
• Model # of Kettle: Bayou Classic 1036
• Batch Size: 4.5gal/7.5gal
• Heats 4.5 gals to mash temps in 14 mins
• Heats 7.5 gals from mash to boil in 33 mins

Batch Size: 3 gallons
• Heats 5 gallons of 120° water to mash temps in 15 mins
• Heats 5 gallons from mash to boil in 20 mins

Avantco IC1800 Countertop Induction Range / Cooker - 120V, 1800W

Batch Size: 3 gallons (ref)
• Chefmate 20qt
• Heats 3 gals to mash temps in 30 mins (75F tap to 155F)
• Heats 3 gals to from mash to boil in 25 mins

Batch Size: ?? gallons (ref)
• Heats 3 gallons of 75° water to mash temps in 30 mins
• Heats 3 gallons from mash to boil in 25 mins

Vollrath 59300 Mirage Cadet Countertop Induction Range 1800W - 120V

Batch Size: 2.5 gallons
• Heats 3.5 gals to mash temps in 31 mins (58F tap to 165F)
• Heats 3.1 gals to from mash to boil in 16 mins
• More info here

DUXTOP 1800-Watt Portable Induction Cooktop Countertop Burner 8100MC

Batch Size: 3.5 gallons
• Heats 3.5 gals to mash temps in 21 mins
• Caveats apply, see ref

INDUCTION STOVE/RANGE COMBOS

3400 Watt Burner on Range

Batch Size: 5.5 gallon
• Heats 7.5 gallons of water to mash temps in ~ 30 mins
• Heats 7.5 gallons from mash to boil in 35 mins

INDUCTION CAPABLE KETTLES

• 8 gallon Mega pot from Northern Brewer
• Bayou Classic 1060 62 qt pot
• Bayou Classic 1036
• Update international SPS-60 15 gallon
• Tramontina 22qt 5.5 Gallon Induction Ready Kettle
• Chefmate 20qt (ref)
• 15 Gallon Tall Boy (ref)
• Chefmate 20qt

INDUCTION TECHNIQUES

Pot Insulation
• Helps maintain mash temps
• Helps getting to mash/boil faster
• Materials: Keg coozy, Reflectix

General Techniques
• Great for BIAB single vessel setup

MISC. SETUPS
• Avantco 3500 and a supplemental 2000 watt heatstick

WARNINGS/CAVEATS

Something to keep in mind:

Not all induction cooktops are meant for this amount of weight. Please heed the manufacturer max recommended weight to avoid breaking the induction burner, causing a safety issue.

Many that I looked at were simply not meant for the amount of weight I wanted to use. Those that had the power I needed and could support the weight started at around $1500-2000 USD.

Kal

Last edited by a moderator:
Avantco 3500w

8gl Mega pot from N Brewer

Brew 3gl BIAB batches

Heats 5gl of 120 water to mash temps in 10-15 minutes. I usually do a two step mash at 145 and 162 and it takes 5 minutes with gradual stir to reach 162 from 145.

Heats 4-5gl from mash to boil in about 15-20 minutes without the lid on.

I use to have a Burton 1800w but this new 3500w blows it out of the water, much quicker getting up to temp and no need to parially cover during the boil. The built in timer is a plus as well.

I hope I don't get hosed for not including information but I just wanted to say this is a good idea. I'm openly looking to move this way for 5 gallon batches and that one thread about the 3500 watt cooktop has been invaluable. An FAQ though would be so great.

Thanks wobdee!

Hello, I agree! Looks like more and more people are trying this, so hopefully we can collect as much data as we can for an FAQ.

Thanks!

Same induction burner (Avantco IC3500) as geoffm33 and same type of results for me. Only difference being I'm using a Bayou Classic 1060 62 qt pot and a Keg Koozy for insulation.

edit:
oops! Meant the same type of results as wobdee. For bigger batches, I get 12 gallons from mash temps to boil in around 30 minutes from the end of my second runnings from a single batch sparge.

Three things that help. Insulation. Keep the lid on until you reach a boil. Start heating at a low setting as soon as there's a few inches in the bottom of your kettle and keep increasing the wattage as you get more volume.

Same induction burner (Avantco IC3500) as geoffm33 and same type of results for me. Only difference being I'm using a Bayou Classic 1060 62 qt pot and a Keg Koozy for insulation.

I actually haven't posted my results yet :) Just the results so far from other posts in this thread. I am hoping to get the circuit installed this weekend!

I have a samsung induction oven/range combo.

it's largest burner is 3400W and it takes 7.5 gallons of wort in an 8 gallon brewpot from mash temps to boiling in just under 35 minutes.

I have a samsung induction oven/range combo.

it's largest burner is 3400W and it takes 7.5 gallons of wort in an 8 gallon brewpot from mash temps to boiling in just under 35 minutes.

Do you recall how quickly you got 7.5 gallons to mash temps?

EDIT: Also, was this a 5/5.5 gallon batch?

Do you recall how quickly you got 7.5 gallons to mash temps?

EDIT: Also, was this a 5/5.5 gallon batch?
I try to have 6.5 gallons post-boil and then 5.5 into the fermenter. I leave 1 gallon behind in the kettle for trub.

I'll have to time how long it takes to get the water to mash temps. It depends on the time of year whether my water is 45 degrees or 80 degrees. I'm thinking it takes around 30 minutes.

I try to have 6.5 gallons post-boil and then 5.5 into the fermenter. I leave 1 gallon behind in the kettle for trub.

Blasphemy!!! :D

You should filter this through a cheese cloth or something and then save it for your starters :tank:

Edit: I know it's a bit off topic.

• Induction Burner: Avantco IC3500 Countertop Induction Range / Cooker - 208/240V, 3500 Watt

• Model # of Kettle: Update international SPS 60 15 gallon

• Batch Size: 6 and sometimes 10 gallon

• Heats xx gals to mash temps in xx mins: 10 gallons from room temp. (about 65f) to mash temps in about 30 minutes but I also use the RIMS element to get things started faster.

• Heats xx gals from mash to boil in xx mins: 10 Gallons from mash to boil in about 15 minutes or so. It will boil off 2 1/2 to 3 gallons in 60 min. at full power

I have this set up as a single vessel brewery similar to BIAB except that I use a 400 micron stainless basket custom made to fit the kettle to contain the grain which I raise and sparge using a chugger pump. I have some stainless fittings that create a circular flow in the kettle during the mash and I have been getting some really good efficiency numbers (so good that I am not going to post them or I will be accused of bragging) It works well enough that I don't have to stir to dough in. The kettle stores under the stand and most of the gear fits in the kettle so the whole thing fits in a closet. I will add some videos.

photo-4.jpg

photo-3.jpg

Not all induction cooktops are meant for this amount of weight. Please heed the manufacturer max recommended weight to avoid breaking the induction burner, causing a safety issue.

Many that I looked at were simply not meant for the amount of weight I wanted to use. Those that had the power I needed and could support the weight started at around $1500-2000 USD.

Kal

Kal

Good point, In fact I was prepared to make a cut out in the stand and mount the cooktop level with the stand so that the kettle would be supported by the stand (using a surface of non magnetic material of coarse) but the Avantco IC3500 is pretty heavily built and shows no sign of stress at all, the thing seems really well made. I actually bought another as a backup because the price of any other unit in the 3500 watt category would be prohibative.
I'm not sure why the Avantco is so low priced but so far so good.

Kal
Very good point indeed. The Avantco IC3500 Countertop Induction Range / Cooker - 208/240V, 3500 Watt, which seems favored around here, doesn't seem to list a weight limit but someone has shown that it will withstand 10 gallon batches. That came from another thread.

COUNTERTOP INDUCTION BURNER

• Vollrath 59300 Mirage Cadet Countertop Induction Range 1800W - 120V

Batch Size: 2.5 gallons
• Heats 3.5 gals to mash temps in 31 mins (58F tap to 165F)
• Heats 3.1 gals to from mash to boil in 16 mins

INDUCTION CAPABLE KETTLES

• Tramontina 22qt 5.5 Gallon Induction Ready Kettle

INDUCTION TECHNIQUES

Pot Insulation
• Reflectix definitely helps with maintaining mash heat along with the temp control the Mirage Cadet has.
• Great for BIAB single vessel setup

WARNINGS/CAVEATS
• The Mirage Cadet is not cheap at $239 shipped!
• The temp control on the Cadet is the best I could find on an 1800 watt unit in this price range.
• A general rule of thumb is 1800 watt induction is great for batches up to about 3 gallons and 3500 watt is preferred for 5 gallons and larger.

IMG_0732.JPG

Just wanted to add that I am planning on the recirculation style induction. alewhatcuresyou...love your setup!

This is my dream system. :fro:

induction-biab-re-circ.jpg

I'm using a Max Burton 6530 ProChef 3000-Watt Commercial Induction Cooktop. It looks to be built exactly like the Avantco IC3500, but it's 3000W instead of 3400W and has a slightly different front panel. Wish I would have caught this thread first, since the Max Burton is more expensive. At least Amazon ships it free and fast under Amazon Prime.

Here's my 5-gallon heat test results, covered, starting with 47.3 degree water (it's been a cold winter in Ohio):

0 minutes: 47.3 (degrees F)
10 minutes: 82
20 minutes: 118
30 minutes: 154
40 minutes: 186
48 minutes: Rolling Boil

I've done one brew day with it, and other than steaming up the basement it worked out great. Heat is concentrated towards the middle, so watch for scorching.

As far as kettles go, I have an older 10-gallon Heavy Duty Kettle purchased from Midwest Supplies that works great and was used for the above test.

For a second kettle, I ordered and then ended up returning a Bayou Classic 1044 because a magnet did not stick to the bottom. It sounds like some folks are reporting that it works with induction even though the magnet doesn't stick.

I re-ordered a Bayou Classic 1310 Tri-Ply Kettle, which does hold a magnet and works well for induction.

Hope that helps someone out. For more information on my experiences with induction, you can check out my Induction HomeBrewing blog.

I'm subscribing to this thread.
I'm planning on moving this summer (we think...) and one of the requirements is a space for me to have my homebrewery so I don't have to completely disassemble and store all over the place every time I want to brew. Having to completely break down and store everything, then find and assemble everything each time is a real drag, as is schlepping 5+ gallons of wort, beer, sanitizer and equipment up and down stairs multiple times each brew.
I am looking and thinking hard about going induction, with enough power it doesn't seem like it has much of a downside at all. I would be going for the 3500 watt burners; we have an electrician friend who will install the outlets for me for cost of the parts and a couple of homebrews. :)
Plus I'll have a good excuse for upgrading my kettles from the Graniteware ones I have (yes, they are magnetic, but don't tell SWMBO. ;) )
AFAICT, most of the rest of my equipment should be compatible, too.

• Heats xx gals to mash temps in xx mins: 10 gallons from room temp. (about 65f) to mash temps in about 30 minutes but I also use the RIMS element to get things started faster.

What wattage is your RIMS tube? Would love to hear some more details about your setup.

Boiling water test
• Model # of Kettle: you Classic 10-gal. Stainless Steel Stockpot with Spigot
• Batch Size: 7 gallons
• Heats 7 gals to 170 F in 42 mins:
• Heats 7 gals from 170 F to boil in 26 mins

I will update again once I brew a batch. I have to fix a leak issue on my spigot. :(

The efficiency is lowish when I use Geoff's calculator here. This is all uncovered, indoors (if that matters), and without any insulation around the pot. BTW, a watched pot does in fact boil. Just in case anyone else's mom lied to them like mine did.

Boiling water test
• Model # of Kettle: you Classic 10-gal. Stainless Steel Stockpot with Spigot
• Batch Size: 7 gallons
• Heats 7 gals to 170 F in 42 mins:
• Heats 7 gals from 170 F to boil in 68 mins

I will update again once I brew a batch. I have to fix a leak issue on my spigot. :(

The efficiency is lowish when I use Geoff's calculator here. This is all uncovered, indoors (if that matters), and without any insulation around the pot. BTW, a watched pot does in fact boil. Just in case anyone else's mom lied to them like mine did.

Are you sure those numbers are right? You are getting from faucet temperature (call it 60) to 170 in 42 minutes, but 170 to 212 in 68?

Are you sure those numbers are right? You are getting from faucet temperature (call it 60) to 170 in 42 minutes, but 170 to 212 in 68?

Oh sorry, I thought it was a carry over. It's 42 to 170 from faucet from 170 to 212 in another 26. :eek:

I apologize for the lack of specific detail, but I was able to bring 4 gallons of water to a nice rolling boil on an Avantco 1800W using a non-magnetic "economy" 5 gallon kettle. The kettle was bought over 6 years ago so it may not be the same models you find today. I double-wrapped the sides with Reflectix and covered with the lid (no insulation). The bottom of the kettle has a fabricated indent and therefore only the outer perimeter makes contact with the burner. That turns out to be important because other models with flat bottoms can round out while heating. This setup performed so well that I even burned my grain bag while bringing up to temp (on setting 15, the highest). I hope it did not ruin my 3 gallon dopplebock!

The only downside is that it was difficult distributing the heat when attemping step mashes. I don't have a recirculating pump and stirring only tested the RDWHAHB theory. I'm not anal about this but it does require some optimizing.

Blasphemy!!! :D

You should filter this through a cheese cloth or something and then save it for your starters :tank:

Edit: I know it's a bit off topic.

what can i say, i'm really into waste.

Phooey! Wasting good wort is a no-no in my book of beer ethics.

If there's a lot of trub left, I usually filter it through a fine mesh hop bag. If I used whole hops or only partially, a little squeezing gets a lot of extra juice out. I then reboil the wort, sometimes with extra hops and what not, let cool, pour into a gallon growler, and pitch some yeast. That extra half to one gallon of experimental beer is the most fun.

Avantco 3500w

8gl Mega pot from N Brewer

Brew 3gl BIAB batches

Heats 5gl of 120 water to mash temps in 10-15 minutes. I usually do a two step mash at 145 and 162 and it takes 5 minutes with gradual stir to reach 162 from 145.

Heats 4-5gl from mash to boil in about 15-20 minutes without the lid on.

I use to have a Burton 1800w but this new 3500w blows it out of the water, much quicker getting up to temp and no need to parially cover during the boil. The built in timer is a plus as well.

What is you experience with the IC3500 and your Megapot? Do you only get the 5" center ring to boil or does the 9" outer ring kick in on yours?

I have a similar pot, the 8 gallon MoreBeer HeavyDuty also with a tri-ply bottom. I only get heat from the center 5". Is that really 3500W being generated in that little circle?

Here are the results of my IC3500's maiden voyage.

Finally got my pot in, hope to run some tests tonight for the small batch crew.

INITIAL DATA:

• Induction Burner: AVANTCO 1800W
• Model # of Kettle: CONCORD 26Qt Tall
• Batch Size: 3GAL

Using 3gal starting volume, non-insulated kettle, lid on to boil, settings as marked:
Setting 15 (Max)
Time/Temp
0 min / 72.2F
15min / 111F
30min / 156F
45min / 197F
52min / 212F

Minimal boil off, rolling surface boil, setting #13, 210F.
Minimal boil off, fast rolling surface boil setting #14, 211F.

• Heats 3GAL gals to mash temps in 33 mins (160F strike)
• Heats 3GAL from mash (175F) to boil (212F) in 15 mins

Still seeing what my boil off is so I can perform a full volume boil for 3gal, and then I'll post new numbers with insulation.

:mug:

What is you experience with the IC3500 and your Megapot? Do you only get the 5" center ring to boil or does the 9" outer ring kick in on yours?

I have a similar pot, the 8 gallon MoreBeer HeavyDuty also with a tri-ply bottom. I only get heat from the center 5". Is that really 3500W being generated in that little circle?

Here are the results of my IC3500's maiden voyage.

Mine is the same as yours, there is about a 5-6" ring at the bottom of my kettle where you can see the boil start but once it gets going the whole kettle has a nice rolling boil.

I brew 3 gal batches so the pre boil amount is 4-5 gal and if i boil at full power its way to strong and splashes wort out of the pot. 2700w setting seems to give me a good controlled rolling boil.

Sooooo - went to put the IC1800 up in the cabinet and it sounds like a maraca. I work with enough high powered electronics to know when something has let loose inside, and it definitely sounds like something plastic has let go and is rattling around. Either way, all brewing/testing this weekend is canceled from here out.

Websturant store's got an email, and I'm bummed. :(

Mine is the same as yours, there is about a 5-6" ring at the bottom of my kettle where you can see the boil start but once it gets going the whole kettle has a nice rolling boil.

I brew 3 gal batches so the pre boil amount is 4-5 gal and if i boil at full power its way to strong and splashes wort out of the pot. 2700w setting seems to give me a good controlled rolling boil.

Thank you for the speedy feedback. I am very interested in other user's findings. I'm puzzled why the 10" outer ring doesn't kick in.

I measured the 2 rings on the plate and they are actually 6" and 10" diameter respectively, on the outside markings.

Trying to find dedicated cookware useful for induction around the house and test things out. I doubt the graniteware enameled 4-5 gallon steel canning pot will hold up. My enameled cast iron pots are not quite wide enough to cover 10".

I do have a large, 15" wide deep dish pizza pan which is chrome plated steel from what I can tell. I'm going to run a test with that to see if the outer ring is being used.

Typically I do 7 gallon full boils in the 8 gallon pot but with only an inch of headspace it is a bit close to the edge, particularly when it boils wildly or there are boil surges, or when adding hops.

So lately I've been boiling a second, 2 gallon pot at the same time with 2nd and 3rd runnings wort. It gives me the extra gallon in the end, to top off the main kettle after 60-90 minutes. They get blended together before flameout and whirlpool/hop stand additions. Whatever wort is left over after draining and filtering the trub out goes in a gallon jar for more "experimental" beers.

Sooooo - went to put the IC1800 up in the cabinet and it sounds like a maraca. I work with enough high powered electronics to know when something has let loose inside, and it definitely sounds like something plastic has let go and is rattling around. Either way, all brewing/testing this weekend is canceled from here out.

Damn, that IS a bummer! Give it a bit of a shake, inverting it too. Maybe something simply got stuck in the fan blades.

I hope they handle your claim as well as their pricing and shipping.

IslandLizard - oh it's definitely something larger than just a small piece of plastic. It's large enough that I can see it through the back of the grill grates and would probably get stuck in the fan if I powered on. Not taking any chances - I'll see what the folks at Webstaraunt Store have to say.

I got an email back this morning already from them, pretty awesome for a holiday weekend IMO, and they're trying to figure out what the best course of action is - either way I'll be getting a new IC1800, just comes down to when/how.

Is it like a loose wire touching the fan or something else? I know you have watched, waited and researched your choice for induction. Man that stinks. Drinking a cold one for you tonight!

Is the experience thus far that boil off is very very low? Like .50 to .75 per hour?

Yesterday I brought 7.85 gallons to 164 in my Bayou Classic 1044 (it's the valve version of the 10 gallon pot).

I pumped that to my MLT, which upon doing so, I lost about 4 degrees of heat so I stopped the pump, turned on the kettle again and heated to about 170 quickly to offset heat loss. I mashed in, pumped back to the kettle (did no sparge) and as soon as I had 2 gallons in the pot, I turned the burner on to 2700. I got my boil volume which ended up being 6 gallons; I was aiming for 5.96 so this is good. I had a "duh" moment with my new pump and proceeded to dump .25 gallons of wort on my floor because sticky wort on my floor is the best, and turned the burner up to 3500.

From my 1 gallon and my failed 5 gallon batch (last Friday) I knew I had to literally plant myself next to the burner, and I did. Some short time passed and suddenly the wort was at the top waiting to boil over. Quickly turned the heat down to 800, sprayed my wort so it would calm down, and I came back up to about 2000 (I believe these are the increments). When I was comfortable, I went to 2400 then 2700 and I stuck at 2700 with a very nice rolling boil.

I boiled with what I call a consistent rolling boil for 60 minutes and lost about .50 - .75 gallons to boil off. I figure .25 on the floor, .25 left behind in the pump tubes and trub, .75 boil off = 4.75 in my fermenter.

Does that boil off sound about right? Unfortunately, I didn't time my boil times, I was busy with the new pump and such but I turned the burner on at 1:28 pm and I was chilling my wort just after 5.

I also love how easily this thing cleans up. I have dripped wort down the sides and worried a lot. It seems to clean right up. I do have a ring on the bottom of my pot as well. I will snap a pic of it in a bit.

Finally got my pot in, hope to run some tests tonight for the small batch crew.

INITIAL DATA:

• Induction Burner: AVANTCO 1800W
• Model # of Kettle: CONCORD 26Qt Tall
• Batch Size: 3GAL

Using 3gal starting volume, non-insulated kettle, lid on to boil, settings as marked:
Setting 15 (Max)
Time/Temp
0 min / 72.2F
15min / 111F
30min / 156F
45min / 197F
52min / 212F

Minimal boil off, rolling surface boil, setting #13, 210F.
Minimal boil off, fast rolling surface boil setting #14, 211F.

• Heats 3GAL gals to mash temps in 33 mins (160F strike)
• Heats 3GAL from mash (175F) to boil (212F) in 15 mins

Still seeing what my boil off is so I can perform a full volume boil for 3gal, and then I'll post new numbers with insulation.

Thanks for the post. I wanted that pot but I asked the eBay vendor if it was induction ready and he said no. Since its 18/10 stainless it very well may not have been.

Latest posts

Back