REPOST: Really don't know what to do.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Col224

Reaction score
I posted this about a week ago, its gotten 65 hits but no answers and I'm really not sure what to do. Hopefully someone has an idea.

Thanks, Sorry If you're looking at this twice.

"I decided to use gelatin for my IPA. However, I messed up and didn't take a hydrometer reading first. I racked the beer into a secondary with 1 packet of knox gelatin. When I took a reading(after), It was still at 1.020.

Should I wait for the Gelatin to fall out then add more yeast?"

Basically it seems my ferment had stopped at 1.020 and I didn't realize it because I didn't take the reading first, now with the yeast stripped out, should I re-pitch with the dry yeast I have?

What was the OG? And what type of yeast was it?
If it was a high gravity brew, and low attenuation yeast it just may be as done as it will get if the gravity has not dropped any more in the last week.
If not, I would re-pitch.

What was the gelatin for?

If there is no yeast left and you want the gravity lower, then you will obviously have to pitch more. Since your wort has alcohol already I would make a starter to ensure the yeast is active before pitching. Be sure to add nutrients and oxygenate. If there is any simple sugars left the yeast should eat them.

If nothing happens it could be because the remaining sugar is too complex for the yeast to eat. In this case if you still want the gravity lower you could add some beano. Beano has a galactase enzyme that will break the complex sugar into simple sugars. Note that this will only work if you still have yeast in solution.

Hope that helps.

I think there's rarely any harm in repitching an attenuative strain like Nottingham and waiting a bit for it to work.

There may not be much benefit, either. Seems like a lot of problematic ferments seen on HBT stop at around 1.020, especially if the yeast have been stressed.

I would just leave it. 1.020 isn't horrible, and really I think your fermentation won't take off too much again at this point. You will likely still have drinkable beer, so just live and learn.

I'm curious as well. Does adding gelatin add gravity points? Does he have to wait for gelatin to fall before he get an accurate reading?

yeah, I didn't think of that(the Gelatin adding to the gravity). The OG was 1.062. It was a liquid yeast strain Wyeast American Ale II. The Recipe called for a FG between 1.010 and 1.014.

I guess its not too far off, but I just like to brag about my great tasting beer thats also a high alcohol %.

It seems that the consensus is to just leave it be. Thanks everyone.

I would taste it before leaving it be for another few weeks. If it tastes good drink it. If it is too sweet, Transfer and re pitch with a starter

Latest posts

Back