Replacing Blichmann thermometer with whirlpool port

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chemman14

Reaction score
Has anyone else done this? Also, do you know if it would be possible to attach something to allow me to use my thermapen as the thermometer? I thought I saw something like this for a plate chiller setup but cant seem to figure out where this was.

I replaced the thermometer on my boil kettle with a whirlpool tube. 1/2" MIP x 90 degree elbow. A weldless installation.

Boiling is boiling. I measure the temperature from the output of the counterflow chiller and a probe in the boil kettle ( electric set up ).

Ah, I still monitor cooling temperature through the probe in the boil kettle. Display is via PID.

Has anyone else done this with some type of inline temperature solution? preferably thermapen I guess I could just monitor the wort temp with my Thermapen the old fashion way.

Has anyone else done this with some type of inline temperature solution? preferably thermapen I guess I could just monitor the wort temp with my Thermapen the old fashion way.

You could use a 1/2" FPT to temperature probe compression fitting and a Tee to add a thermapen or other digital probe thermometer inline on the whirlpool port. I use one of these https://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/pcomp1.htm to measure temp on the output of my plate chiller, so you could do the same to get inline temp anywhere you've got 1/2" NPT fittings.

You could use a 1/2" FPT to temperature probe compression fitting and a Tee to add a thermapen or other digital probe thermometer inline on the whirlpool port. I use one of these https://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/pcomp1.htm to measure temp on the output of my plate chiller, so you could do the same to get inline temp anywhere you've got 1/2" NPT fittings.

Awesome! That is exactly what I was looking for!

I replaced the thermometer on my boil kettle with a whirlpool tube. 1/2" MIP x 90 degree elbow. A weldless installation.

I have been looking and cant seem to find a bulkhead that will fit the kettle. Where did you find it?

After removal of the thermometer, I used a hole punch ( 7/8" chassis ) for a 1/2" NPT weldless connection.

Back