Replacement firmware for iSpindel (GravityMon)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ignore, answered my own question: per the GravityMon docs, newer (ESP32) chips don't have a diode that needs to be removed.

Also, thanks for adding support for the Floaty!

Last edited:
Ignore, answered my own question: per the GravityMon docs, newer (ESP32) chips don't have a diode that needs to be removed.

Also, thanks for adding support for the Floaty!
I had to remove the led on my c3 v1 since it as always on even during sleep

Does gravitymon require an internet connection to function properly. I'm trying to connect to my device using a local area that has no internet access. My main network is protected by a mac filter and I don't want bother my admin every time I want to set up a device. Anyways when the connect to the device through the local network the webpage does not show up properly. Would be great if we could use the device in a location with no internet to maybe send the data to a hub that shows the value on the screen. I have a couple friends who brew in locations with no wifi.

Does gravitymon require an internet connection to function properly. I'm trying to connect to my device using a local area that has no internet access. My main network is protected by a mac filter and I don't want bother my admin every time I want to set up a device. Anyways when the connect to the device through the local network the webpage does not show up properly. Would be great if we could use the device in a location with no internet to maybe send the data to a hub that shows the value on the screen. I have a couple friends who brew in locations with no wifi.
You dont need a internet connection for gravity measurements. But for the web interface to work properly you need aceess to a few urls to download js and css files.

There is not enough space on the device for those files

Its in the docs; see the q&a section in the docs

I just came across this and it looks fantastic. I'm going to trying to get this integrated with an influxdb. looks like this should be compatible, but I didn't see much documentation on it. I'll pass in anything I figure out to help.

I just came across this and it looks fantastic. I'm going to trying to get this integrated with an influxdb. looks like this should be compatible, but I didn't see much documentation on it. I'll pass in anything I figure out to help.
Excuse my ignorance but what will integrating this with influxdb achieve or could it achieve? Other than a challenge?

Thanks.

Excuse my ignorance but what will integrating this with influxdb achieve or could it achieve? Other than a challenge?

Thanks.
the challenge is probably the main goal, but I'm working to get this and a Craftbeerpi controller both logging into an influxdb. then set up some Grafana displays.

It works with influxdb v2, just enter the settings and you are good to go

Thanks.
Its just another tool to create dashboards on the fermentation process. The advantage is you can run it locally

Its just another tool to create dashboards on the fermentation process. The advantage is you can run it locally
Thank you, I'm pretty much at my limit getting this working and brewpiless.
Next challenge is pressure monitor and auto spunding on brewpiless. It's great stuff

It works with influxdb v2, just enter the settings and you are good to go
yep I got it working... Originally I used the text name for the org and bucket name (similiar to what is shown in the documentation), but once I switched to the hex name its working fine

yep I got it working... Originally I used the text name for the org and bucket name (similiar to what is shown in the documentation), but once I switched to the hex name its working fine
The documentation(config section) refers to bucket id and token not the names. Where did you see the bucket name, if so I need to fix the error ?

The documentation(config section) refers to bucket id and token not the names. Where did you see the bucket name, if so I need to fix the error ?
on the configuration page, the image in Push Settings (2) shows home in the org so i went with text at first.

Hi
I've installed the temp mon on a couple of devices and it's working well. I've changed over from Ispindel firmware to the Gravitymon software on one of my Ispindels and seem to have the blue light flashing on it every second when I used it.
I have it close to the relay so has a good strong signal and it read gravity and temperature accurately but only lasted about 3 days before the battery went flat.

I did set it so that it only signalled every 1800 s so I'm a bit unusure why it appears so active.

Currently it's in the fermenter under slight pressure as I'm in the middle of dry hopping the pale ale it's floating in so won't be able to get my hands on it for about a week.
Is this something that any user out there has had an issue with?
This Ispindel worked fine before with ispindel software.

Hi
I've installed the temp mon on a couple of devices and it's working well. I've changed over from Ispindel firmware to the Gravitymon software on one of my Ispindels and seem to have the blue light flashing on it every second when I used it.
I have it close to the relay so has a good strong signal and it read gravity and temperature accurately but only lasted about 3 days before the battery went flat.

I did set it so that it only signalled every 1800 s so I'm a bit unusure why it appears so active.

Currently it's in the fermenter under slight pressure as I'm in the middle of dry hopping the pale ale it's floating in so won't be able to get my hands on it for about a week.
Is this something that any user out there has had an issue with?
This Ispindel worked fine before with ispindel software.
Its been a while since I looked at that code, but if I remember correctly the only thing that can force it to be awake is the battery level. Can you check that the battery level is correct? It should go to sleep if the battery is less than 4.15V

There might be something else that breaks as well, but check that first.

Thank you for reply @mper.

I'm having the issue with an ispindel that has gravitymon installed that is measuring gravity and temperature.

It read gravity and temperature fine but the blue light flashed every second and the battery went flat in a few days.
It was set to send a reading every 40 minutes so every 2400 seconds.
This is also the interval that brewspy received at as well

Anyone have a reliable source for D1 mini devices right now? Two of my 3 devices have the "stops waking up from deep sleep" problem, both with GravityMon and the original iSpindel firmware

Thank you for reply @mper.

I'm having the issue with an ispindel that has gravitymon installed that is measuring gravity and temperature.

It read gravity and temperature fine but the blue light flashed every second and the battery went flat in a few days.
It was set to send a reading every 40 minutes so every 2400 seconds.
This is also the interval that brewspy received at as well
If the blue light is flashing then its not going into sleep mode. Can be due to one of these things:
* Battery level to high (default is 4.15V), check what the device reports and compare to measured battery voltage, adjust voltage factor as needed.
* Not calibrated, will not go to sleep if the calibration is not done -> see configuration -> device -> calibrate
* Checkbox for enabled "do not go to sleep"
* Could also be a hardware issue -> bad gyro

A good thing is to check that it goes to sleep before placing it in the fermentation chamber. I usually place it at 45 degree to see that is goes to sleep.

The only place that i will buy them from is the official Lolin store on aliexpress.

LOLIN D1 Mini V4.0.0

It takes a little longer to get them, but they are the real deal.
Yep, that is the LOLIN offical store. They are quite fast on shipping. You can also get the ESP32C3 boards there if you want to upgrade and add Bluetooth support, just make sure you get the 2.x version (v1.x has faulty wireless)

If the blue light is flashing then its not going into sleep mode. Can be due to one of these things:
* Battery level to high (default is 4.15V), check what the device reports and compare to measured battery voltage, adjust voltage factor as needed.
* Not calibrated, will not go to sleep if the calibration is not done -> see configuration -> device -> calibrate
* Checkbox for enabled "do not go to sleep"
* Could also be a hardware issue -> bad gyro

A good thing is to check that it goes to sleep before placing it in the fermentation chamber. I usually place it at 45 degree to see that is goes to sleep.
Thank you, I'll check all of those things when I get it out of the fermenter in a weeks time.
Hope I accidentally pressed the don't go to sleep but if I had done that would it still send a reading to brewspy every 40 minutes, which is what it did do.
The battery went flat so must have dropped below 4.15V and brewspy showed that the ispindel stopped at 3.29V.
I'd put the readings in for the formula and it did show gravity.

So could be a bad gyro.

I will update.

I got a suggestion to add some default gravity formula so the device can estimate gravity without any fancy calibration.

In order to research if this is feasable and see the accuracy im asking for some data.

So can you please share your calibration values used for your devices, tilt + gravity for your calculations. Would be good to also share what pcb you used.

Reply here or send me a pm

i can't figure out why my data recording is missing samples. it is setup to sample every 10mins. i have this going to Ubidots and an influxdb, both show data missing. it started out good, but then missed almost 8 hours before a few more spurious samples.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230222-224247_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230222-224247_Chrome.jpg
    442 KB · Views: 0
i can't figure out why my data recording is missing samples. it is setup to sample every 10mins. i have this going to Ubidots and an influxdb, both show data missing. it started out good, but then missed almost 8 hours before a few more spurious samples.
Well, there are a few things that could cause that.
1) Wifi strength, if there is poor coverage and it cannot connect to the wifi it will go back to sleep. The signal strength (RSSI) is typically sent in the payload and a bad connection is typically -70 or less.
2) Really strong fermentation that can cause the ispindle to move and in cases of movement gravmon will not regard the reading as stable and not send anything. The threshold for movement detection can be set under advanced config and is normally 500.

Check the logfile, errors are written to that one and that would give any hints to what the issue is. Can be access from the index page.

Just release a new beta for gravitymon, some new features have been added to this release:
  • Added feature to do backup and restore of device settings. Data will be exported as a text (json) file.
  • Added validation feature that checks for configuration errors or missing steps in setup. Warnings will be displayed on index page.
  • Added restore to factory default button under configuration
  • Added feature to check for newer GravityMon releases from gravitymon.com (Will only check against promoted / stable version).
  • Added option to select a default gravity formula under settings. This is based on measurements from several different devices.
Installation is available in brewflasher (standalone or web)

https://github.com/mp-se/gravitymon/releases/tag/v1.3.0-beta2

Last edited:
Hei Magnus
Uploaded beta2 this morning. There are some tempsensor issues.
DS18B20 and/or gyro tempsensors are not detected.
All ok when switching back to beta1.
Should I make a note to you in Github?

Hei Magnus
Strange, I will take a look tomorrow to see what that might be. I do the builds on github and tested only my local builds.

Which hardware platform are you using ?

Can you hook up a serial monitor and send me the startup log in a PM that would be great. Then I can use that for troubleshooting.

CherryPhilip 4.0, ESP32-s2.
I upgraded via Gravitymon's web-interface. Unless there are changes in partitions I guess that should be ok.
I'll do a snip from the startup log later on today and send you.
Cheers
L.

I upgraded via Gravitymon's web-interface. Unless there are changes in partitions I guess that should be ok.
Cheers
L.
No changes in partition so that should be ok, i normally test esp8266 and esp32c3 builds, i will check that tomorrow

Looks like I am too fresh in the forum to send a PM. (At least 5 posts to be able to?). x'ed out the personal stuff instead.
Monitored the boot. Browser connected too. Nothing tempsensor-related, unfortunately:

1955 I: Main: Battery 4.09 V, Gyro=89.48, Run-mode=1.
2013 I: WIFI: Connecting to wifi (0) using stored settings xxxxxx.

2125 I: WIFI: Connected to wifi xxxxxx ip=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx.
2130 I: WIFI: Using mDNS name xxxxxxxx
2169 I: Main: Activating web server
2173 E: WIFI: OTA error checking version.json, response=-1
2180 I: WEB : Configuring web server.
2198 I: WEB : File=drd.dat, 4 bytes
2210 I: WEB : File=error.log, 1256 bytes
2220 I: WEB : File=gravitymon.json, 1085 bytes
2231 I: WEB : File=http-1.tpl, 318 bytes
2242 I: WEB : File=runtime.log, 75 bytes
2245 I: WEB : Setting up handlers for web server.
2276 I: WEB : Web server started.
2280 I: Main: Setup completed.
3322 I: WEB : webServer callback for /api/status(get).
4550 I: WEB : webServer callback for /api/status(get).
5768 I: WEB : webServer callback for /api/status(get).
6996 I: WEB : webServer callback for /api/status(get).
8214 I: WEB : webServer callback for /api/status(get).
11734 E: WEB : URL not found /log2 received.
11759 I: WEB : webServer callback for /api/status(get).
16421 I: WEB : webServer callback for /api/status(get).
blablabla

Well, there are a few things that could cause that.
1) Wifi strength, if there is poor coverage and it cannot connect to the wifi it will go back to sleep. The signal strength (RSSI) is typically sent in the payload and a bad connection is typically -70 or less.
2) Really strong fermentation that can cause the ispindle to move and in cases of movement gravmon will not regard the reading as stable and not send anything. The threshold for movement detection can be set under advanced config and is normally 500.

Check the logfile, errors are written to that one and that would give any hints to what the issue is. Can be access from the index page.
#1 has crossed my mind. I'm going to do some measurements to see what turns up. can you change the wifi without resetting the whole device?

Hei Magnus
The problem was on the index page alone, the selftest stuff I added incorrectly showed the text "no tempsensor". The temperature sensor is detected and will work when pushing data. I have fixed the problem and updated the binaries for the beta2 release as a quick fix. Try doing an update via the web interface.

Cheers
L.
This was a strange one, i flashed the version and got the same issue that you described. But after doing a poweroff (not just reset) then the sensors was detected correctly. So I will need to look into this further

#1 has crossed my mind. I'm going to do some measurements to see what turns up. can you change the wifi without resetting the whole device?
signal is about -85dB when measuring from the device to the router. the picture shows the angle and signal. i assume this is the signal of the router. I'm kind of surprised it's connecting at all. so now I'm looking to use another d1 mini as an extender or modding the antenna ond my ispindles to boost the signal (ESP8266 Antenna Mod - extend WiFi range). I'll probably go with an extender to start.

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20230226-133348_Chrome.jpg
    SmartSelect_20230226-133348_Chrome.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
signal is about -85dB when measuring from the device to the router. the picture shows the angle and signal. i assume this is the signal of the router. I'm kind of surprised it's connecting at all. so now I'm looking to use another d1 mini as an extender or modding the antenna ond my ispindles to boost the signal (ESP8266 Antenna Mod - extend WiFi range). I'll probably go with an extender to start.
I had an idea about doing the same thing.
Ended up buying a TP-Link EAP110-Outdoor as an extra AP.
Never regretted that.
My Gravitymon Ispindel now has around -65dBm inside a SS Chronical inside a fridge 1.5m from the EAP110.

That signal level is really low so thats probably why it has issues to connect in some of the cases. A repeater would solve that problem

new beta released that should fix most of the bugs that have been reported. all releases are available on github and on brewflasher.

https://github.com/mp-se/gravitymon/releases/tag/v1.3.0-beta3
Since there are a few boards being supported right how I would like to know which ESP boards are of most interest so I can focus on testing those.

These are the ones that are supported right now:
  1. ESP 8266
  2. ESP32 D1 mini
  3. ESP32 C3 v1.0
  4. ESP32 C3 v2.x
  5. ESP32 S2
  6. ESP32 LITE (Floaty)

Last edited:
Back