Replace T Stat w/ STC 1000 or Plug Fridge Into Temp Controller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LJvermonster

Reaction score
Hi All,

I just inherited a side by side fridge for a kegerator/fermentation chamber and am super pumped.

Question is, should I replace the existing thermostats with (2) STC 1000s? Or do I plug the fridge into my STC 1000 Temp control box and have the temp sensor into the freezer portion (kegerator side) and make another one for the fermentation chamber side with a fan to draw cold and small heater for warmth?

Are there disadvantages to either option? Is it bad to turn a fridge on and off? Seems like longevity of the fridge would be compromised with it turning off and on all the time?

Thanks in advance!

View attachment 1459211016183.jpg

I like your ideas. I have not done this but for simplicity sake I would probably follow idea number 2:

"plug the fridge into my STC 1000 Temp control box and have the temp sensor into the freezer portion (kegerator side) and make another one for the fermentation chamber side with a fan to draw cold and small heater for warmth"

Advantage: Having a normal working fridge even with the modifications. Potentially easier to access the STC 1000s if mounted in a separate box vs replacing the thermostats (all depends on your installation skills).

Disadvantage: Not as stealthy as replacing the thermostats. Potentially the fan between the chambers will not keep a very homogeneous temperature in the fermentation side.

I do not think it is bad to turn a fridge on and off. Essentially your fridge already does that by turning its compressor on and off to create the set temperature. Most people feel the STC 1000 is great for kegorator/keezer designs because you can set a compressor delay on them so your compressor doesn't switch on and off rapidly but instead has time to cool off and reset between cycles.

If this were my fridge to mess with I would wire 2 STC 1000 in an external box. One STC 1000 would control the freezer (kegorator side) which would also have a constant on computer fan to get even temps throughout the freezer. The second STC 1000 would control a fan (cooling) connecting the two chambers and heater in the fridge side (fermentation chamber). Potentially I would also put a constant on computer fan in the fridge side just to ensure even temperature throughout (if I determined it was needed). I only mention this because it would mean I would preemptively wire an additional outlet into my control box that was constant on just in case the fan was needed.

Are you sure the fridge even has 2 cooling circuits?

Most are only single circuit, so you can't control them independently.

Potentially, all that does is open or close a flap more or less from the freezer to the fridge.

Are there 2 compressors, condensors, evap coils, etc?

I see what you're saying. No, they are not cooled separately, the thermostat for the fridge definitely operates a fan that draws cold air from the freezer side.

I do not think it is bad to turn a fridge on and off. Essentially your fridge already does that by turning its compressor on and off to create the set temperature. Most people feel the STC 1000 is great for kegorator/keezer designs because you can set a compressor delay on them so your compressor doesn't switch on and off rapidly but instead has time to cool off and reset between cycles.

This was one of my major concerns. It seems fairly standard though.. (2) STC1000 Temp Control boxes seems like the way to go then.

Think it would be possible to separate the fan power that already takes the cold air from the fridge and add an outlet on it and connect it to the second box?

Yes you can. Essentially off of your one line in you can wire up the two controllers (with two outlets each, one cold, one heat) as well as two always on outlets for the two circulating fans. I am not super great at drawing wiring diagrams so hopefully someone else will chime in with one.

I have a side by side that I use as a lager chamber (freezer side) and kegerator (fridge side). I control the lager chamber at 34*F with an Auber controller and serve from the unregulated fridge side which is hovers right at 39*-40*F with the bottom vent between the two side open and the flapper valve at the top removed. It works great.

I use a separate fridge for a fermentation chamber controlled with a separate auber controller.

I have a side by side that I use as a lager chamber (freezer side) and kegerator (fridge side). I control the lager chamber at 34*F with an Auber controller and serve from the unregulated fridge side which is hovers right at 39* with the bottom vent between the two side open and the flapper valve at the top removed.

I brew mostly IPAs so I'd need my fermenter side at 60-70 degrees, and my fridge definitely draws its cold air from the freezer side. I do like the idea of trying to figure out how to unhook the power from the existing fan and powering it through an STC1000 controller. This is ideal, otherwise, I will likely cut a hole in between the freezer portion (kegerator) and the fridge portion (fermentation) and maybe hook up a fan and definitely a heater in the fermentation section.

I brew mostly IPAs so I'd need my fermenter side at 60-70 degrees, and my fridge definitely draws its cold air from the freezer side. I do like the idea of trying to figure out how to unhook the power from the existing fan and powering it through an STC1000 controller. This is ideal, otherwise, I will likely cut a hole in between the freezer portion (kegerator) and the fridge portion (fermentation) and maybe hook up a fan and definitely a heater in the fermentation section.

Here's a cpl articles you may like to ck out:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=243671

http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/pimp-my-system/richard-trevino/

I see what you're saying. No, they are not cooled separately, the thermostat for the fridge definitely operates a fan that draws cold air from the freezer side.
Are you sure about this? It would be out of the ordinary to have a fan, independent of the freezer evaporator fan, used to circulate air from the freezer to the fridge side. Usually, it's just a duct that routes evaporator fan air into the fridge, controlled by a flap.

There may be a schematic posted on/in the fridge that could shed light on this.

Check out this thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=289241

Fridgenstein Side-By-Side Kegerator / Fermentation chamber

I think the OP replaced the thermostats but others in that thread, including myself, did your option 2. I even split my ferm chamber into 2 independently controlled chambers.

That is glorious! I love the two zones for your ferm side! What did you use for heating and cooling for those?

That is glorious! I love the two zones for your ferm side! What did you use for heating and cooling for those?

I can't speak for murphyslaw, but I have a fan and brew belt in each zone. I just got this put together this past weekend and haven't started fermenting anything yet.

20160328_163537-67087.jpg

Yep. I have a computer fan in the divider and a ceramic heater in each chamber. Last week I had a lager in the bottom and ale up top without a problem.

I once tried to cold crash on top, with an ale on the bottom, and the whole fridge went out. Luckily, after I unplugged it for a few days and came back, it magically worked. I'm currently trying a second time, but cold crashing on bottom (smaller, more insulated, and cold air stays low). I may get cold feet and just let the ale sit outside the fridge at ambient low 60s, since fermentation should be done anyway.

I'll just add that I found building this to be a much bigger PITA than I expected. Particularly trying to cut through the middle to install the fans and attached the dryer vent covers. Perhaps if I had a dremmel or something it would have been easier.

Good to know!! I am going to set mine up for one fan at the top to start and if I get the need to lager then I'll add another. Although, I am still wondering why using the damper control or whatever allows the cool air from the freezer and hook that up to the stc1000...

Would that is not be sufficient?

Back