Repitch sake lees?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schwartzr33

Reaction score
I'm about half way through the final ferment on my first batch of traditional sake. When making beer, I routinely repitch the left over yeast after racking the finished beer. I'm wondering if something similar can be done to re-use the sake and koji that is bound up in the solids that will be left over after I press? It seems like one might be able to simply start adding fresh rice to the lees to start a new batch of sake. Thoughts?

Sorry for the late response. I need to watch this sake forum a little more closely.

I actually kept some sake lees or also called sake kasu in the fridge for over a year and it works to re-pitch into new batches. However it is only used to re-pitch the yeast. Not the Kome-Koji. The amylase enzymes are not produced anymore after the Kome-Koji enters the sake rice/water. It is just like the mash in beer. You can't take the lees and add it to fresh unmalted barley in order to convert it with the same you would as malted barley.

Also the sake kasu can be used in cooking as well. Salmon fillets covered with the sake kasu for about an hour in a ziplock prior to cooking takes a lot of fishy flavor out and adds a very floral complimenting flavor to the fish. It is one of the only ways I like salmon cooked.

Latest posts

Back