Quantcast

Repitch or wait?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Brett3rThanU

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 9, 2008
Messages
577
Reaction score
8
Location
Houston
I'm brewing a strong ale with the following ingredients:

* 10.5 lb amber malt extract
* 1.5 lb crystal 120L
* Danstar Notthingham yeast

The OG was 1.078. Fermentation started out strong only 12 hours after pitching and remained strong for 3-4 days. After 7 days I took a gravity reading and it was 1.028 with nearly no activity, here it was fermenting at about 62F. At day 10 I took another reading and it was 1.025 and decided to give it a quick stir and rouse the yeast, plus I warmed the primary up to 70F. On day 12 the gravity was 1.024 with no activity, so I decided to rack to the secondary. The target FG is 1.018

Now to my question. My secondary is currently sitting at 62F-66F with no activity. Should I repitch some more Nottingham yeast into my secondary? Or should I wait it out and hope the FG drops 6 more points.
 

ohiobrewtus

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 1, 2006
Messages
7,762
Reaction score
72
Location
Ohio
62F is within the normal temperature range for Nottingham. If you hadn't already racked it to secondary I would have suggested moving it to a warmer location in the house and giving it a stir to get things going again.

Pitching more yeast is probably a pretty good option at this point. At 1.024 you run the risk of bottle bombs in a few weeks.
 
OP
B

Brett3rThanU

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 9, 2008
Messages
577
Reaction score
8
Location
Houston
So if I decide to pitch more yeast into my secondary, there really isn't anything I can hurt from what I gather. How do I go about pitching more yeast? Is it the same as the initial pitch? Hydrate some dry yeast in warm water and pitch it? Someone mentioned using Fermax as well, is that the same thing as Bru-Vigor yeast fuel? I have some Bru-Vigor I can add if needed as well.
 
Top