Repair needed for a Rubbermade 10g Cooler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lou52onu

Reaction score
So over the weekend I decided to add a thermosight to my HLT.

In drilling my 3/8" hole I managed to drill next to 1 of only 2 bubbles/waves on the internal wall (warped from the heat of past brews). Because of its location I am unable to get the o-ring, washer, & nut assembly on.

I'd like to patch and re-drill a new hole. Does anyone have any suggestions on what/how to patch the 3/8" hole? It needs to be stable to the heat and pressure of 10g of strike water.

A drilled stopper inserted from the inside. Then a 3/8" bolt through the hole from the inside, a fender washer and nut to hold tension from the outside.

Awesome idea!:mug:

I'd suggest you use a (stainless steel) washer on the inside too Additionally I'd use a Stainless steel bolt, the nut and the washer on outside won't matter but Stainless would look nice. Brass would work too. But with washers on both sides you can put some real pressure on the stopper causing it to expand without worrying about the bolt popping thru the hole.

I actually think a washer on the inside might allow a leak. If you use a pan head machine screw, it would seal directly to the stopper. If you put a washer there, the bolt to washer contact would require an extra gasket. Stainless definitely. I should have said that but thought it was a given. You could argue also that a snug fitting solid stopper would be fine without all the extra hardware.

Latest posts

Back