Removing shanks from kegerator tower

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laurel

Reaction score
I ended up with an infected corny (filled at a local brewpub) and have new lines and hoseclamps for replacment, but I'm having trouble removing the shanks from my tower. It's a dual tap tower, and I can get the perlick faucets off, but the shanks have the faceted side inside the tower and I can't fit a regular wrench in there to turn them. Is there a way to do this? Special too?

Thanks.:tank:

I just grab the part of the shank that the faucet connects to and twist it until the nut inside the tower loosens.

Grab it with vice grips or something?

I'm not sure I understand that. The part that the faucet connects to is threaded with a collar. I wouldn't want to damage the threads, and the collar is visible.

I mean the part that is sticking out of the tower and I just grab it with my hand. I have a single faucet tower so the nut inside the tower will get stuck on the inside walls of the tower, so I just twist the part that is outside of the tower and it loosens the nut.

I mean the part that is sticking out of the tower and I just grab it with my hand. I have a single faucet tower so the nut inside the tower will get stuck on the inside walls of the tower, so I just twist the part that is outside of the tower and it loosens the nut.

I'll give that a shot tonight. Maybe I was just overthinking it. Thanks!
:mug:

Ok, well my tower is way different from yours I think. I have parts that screw to the shanks that butt up against the tower so they lie flat(roundish). It took me 20 minutes with a pair of slip joint pliers and some vice grips, but I got it off. There was a nice big fat pellicle growing in the line too. And I bumped my functional tap handle probably 5 times and lost over a pint of blonde to the top of the kegerator while doing so.

Back