Removing Corn Flavor in Blonde Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laughingboysbrew

Reaction score
I've got a great start on a blonde recipe that's mostly 2 row, a little 20 L centennial and cascade. It's a great lawnmower beer, others like it. For my liking, there's too much corn aroma and finishing taste. I want to stay balanced and keep hop aroma/flavor away as much as possible on this one.

Mash temp 150-152, ferm temp 65.

Thoughts on getting rid of the corn? More crystal in the grain bill? higher ferm temp?

Thanks

I've got a great start on a blonde recipe that's mostly 2 row, a little 20 L centennial and cascade. It's a great lawnmower beer, others like it. For my liking, there's too much corn aroma and finishing taste. I want to stay balanced and keep hop aroma/flavor away as much as possible on this one.

Mash temp 150-152, ferm temp 65.

Thoughts on getting rid of the corn? More crystal in the grain bill? higher ferm temp?

Thanks

Maybe that's DMS you're tasting? Make sure you are getting a nice rolling vigorous boil, and you're not boiling with the lid on or anything like that. maybe try increasing the boil time to 90 minutes.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Ha, no corn in the recipe. I've done 25 gallons all identical so I think its the recipe or the process. It's not bad/off flavor. It's just a bit grainy/corn like

Yooper- I could send you a bottle to sample?? J/k (reading another related thread). Again, its not bad...just kind of corny. If I don't say anything, others don't notice.

Yooper- I could send you a bottle to sample?? J/k (reading another related thread). Again, its not bad...just kind of corny. If I don't say anything, others don't notice.

haha!

If it's a little corny, that could be a touch of DMS. For the next batch, make sure you have a nice rolling boil and chill with the lid off as quickly as you can.

Otherwise, I got nothin'.

If you're not using any pilsner try increasing your boil to very vigorous for the last 15 minutes. Don't forget to adjust for your boil off rate.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Interesting that I've reproduced it several times. Like golf, I guess that's good news. I can chill pretty fast with CFC and never had probable with boil before. I'm building out a e-HERMS this month - so I'll try another batch after and report back.

I think it's your boil. It is repeatable, because you have done it the same way each time. Make sure you have a very vigorous boil, particularly toward the end. If you are boiling for 60 min, maybe try a 90 min boil - you'll need to add some extra water to compensate.

Back