Remove dried krausen from tubing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HappyWarrior

Reaction score
I've got a few lengths of tubing from blow-offs, each decorated with dry krausen.

Is there any trick for removing this? Or, if I sanitize the inside, could I re-use them for future blow-offs?

Just wondering if they can be "saved", before the hit the garbage!

I give my bow off tubes a 2 hour soak in PBW, and then run hot water through them. Remaining debris is cleared by pulling a small piece of rag through several times. A cotton ball, or bead with a hole, on the end of the string, with water pressure takes the string through.

I've got a few lengths of tubing from blow-offs, each decorated with dry krausen.

Is there any trick for removing this? Or, if I sanitize the inside, could I re-use them for future blow-offs?

Just wondering if they can be "saved", before the hit the garbage!

I would mix up some cleaner like oxyclean free in enough water to submerge and fill the tubing. Let it sit and it will destroy those stubborn pieces of crust. Since there just blow off tubes anything you have can work as cleaner. Bleach would work as well. Just make sure to rinse the bleach of well.

I had the same problem I soaked the tubing in PBW than blasted it with warm water. It got out the bigger chunks but left some of the smaller debris so I just flipped the tubing around so the krausen side was in my blow off water. I tried putting things in the tube to clean it out but nothing could fit.

Anything with Sodium Hydroxide (lye) will completely digest organic compounds. I got a cleaner from a LHBS that is really powerful (requiring care to avoid skin burns). I also have had remarkable luck using spray oven cleaner and force the foam right through the tubes. Let it sit for a couple of hours and flush well with water. Even Drano is Sodium Hydroxide. The key is a thorough rinse when done. Star San will also neutralize any remaining residue. Bacteria, molds and yeast do not stand a chance.

I fill the tubing with PBW solution (1 1/2oz per gallon of water) To soak for an hour or so. Then I use this 66" long, 3/8" ID brush to scrub them out inside. Then rinse...http://www.beveragefactory.com/draftbeer/cleaning/brushes/NHCB38.html It won't go all the way through without sticking, but lines that are the length of the average blow off will be well cleaned.

Go to a Sporting Good store and look for the tube brushes that they use for cleaning out the hoses for CamelBak (water packs that you wear). Those have a stiff wire and a tiny brush on the end. You could probably find same at a LHBS, but I'd wager it would cost much more there...

It's made with the typical twisted steel wire handle. I'd prefer it was made with the same diameter stock, but nylon or something so it'd bend easier. But other than that, it's good.

Latest posts

Back