Remember when...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heeeelllp! Mr wizaaaaarrd! Ingle dringle drangle drone,time for this one to come home! Good ol' Fractured Fairytales...

Gas was $.85 a gallon

3067830-concept-images-depicting-high-fuel-prices.jpg

It was socially acceptable to wear these in public.

tumblr_lwxwpkCBhu1r6pjk1o1_1280.jpg

Slap bracelets were cool until they disappeared after becoming a cutting hazard.

slapbracelets.jpg

Let's hear about your childhood / glory days memories.

I worked at a gas station that had some of the highest prices in town....
regular gas was 31.9 cents a gallon
I used to drive to another town where there was some gas wars going on....
25 cents a gallon. I used to fill up my 63 vw for $2.00!

1970s

When I was a teen I got gas for 25.9c per gallon,& cigs were 35c. A quart of beer was about $1.50. You could get an once of smoke for $5 to $10. And bell bottom Levis were all the rage. Girls wore halter tops & hip hugger elephant bells in summer.:ban:

Concerts with "festival seating" in large venues.

I don't miss the crowd surge while waiting for the doors to open. They used to be billed like "show starts at 8:00, doors open at 7:00," but it wasn't unusual for the security goons to hold off opening the doors until after the advertised time, just to fark with the crowds and get them all worked up. I remember a few events where the crowd surge got really scary. A few thousand human sardines moving forward and back, and people pressed on all sides of you.

Until a certain concert in Cincinnati changed that thinking.

Remember Surge?

Coke's greatest bombed opportunity.

in 98 Eckard Pharmacy had coke products 10 cents a case for weeks for a 100 year anniversary my family went everyday ended up with 120 cases, surge was mine I had it long after it was discontinued ill almost certainly have heart problems for that.:rockin:

OK, this is from my highschool days, but...

352px-OK_Soda_Original_4.jpg

To go way back to my youth...

425366-captain-goodnight-and-the-islands-of-fear-apple-ii-screenshot.png

I loved Zork and the Sierra "quest" games.

But really, this was the start of my video game addiction -

vic20_gorf.gif

I think I still have 2 text adventures for the color computer-Madness & the Minotaur,& Riddle of the Sphinx. I wrote one back then for programming class I called Land of Dracula,a text adventure with a map.

I'm 40 years old. I remember most of the stuff people are showing here and more.

I loved Josta soda. I thought it was the greatest single soda flavor invented since cola. I still want some more. If I knew how to make it, it would be a priority in my pipeline.

I also remember the student parking lot above the high school. A common sight would be a bunch of students gathered around a pickup truck showing off their newly acquired handguns and rifles. They would notice the teacher spotted them and is walking up to them. Everyone would be like, "Uh oh, here comes Mr. Pinkerton. Now we have to hear him tell us all about the history of all these calipers......." -oh how things have changed.

I'm 40 years old. I remember most of the stuff people are showing here and more.

I loved Josta soda. I thought it was the greatest single soda flavor invented since cola. I still want some more. If I knew how to make it, it would be a priority in my pipeline.

I also remember the student parking lot above the high school. A common sight would be a bunch of students gathered around a pickup truck showing off their newly acquired handguns and rifles. They would notice the teacher spotted them and is walking up to them. Everyone would be like, "Uh oh, here comes Mr. Pinkerton. Now we have to hear him tell us all about the history of all these calipers......." -oh how things have changed.

When I was in high school, we tossed our shotguns in the car trunk before we drove to school, and after school got out, we would head out for a couple hours of bird hunting before it got dark. You could see us in the school parking lot at 3:30, putting on hunting clothes and getting our 12 gauges out of the trunk. Today, if you were caught with firearms on school property it would make the news.

glenn514 said:
I remember BOOK IT very well! I taught seventh grade in those years, and the kids I had liked to eat pizza. My own children did, too. Much FREE pizza was given out by Pizza Hut to my class and my own kids!

glenn514:mug:

My kids still do this with Pizza Hut.

Dude I was just thinking about book it the other day. They never asked WHEN you read the book or how long it was, so I always felt like I was scamming the system. Thing is... I became a voracious reader (either because of or in spite of the program, I dont know) so they sure showed me!

Dude I was just thinking about book it the other day. They never asked WHEN you read the book or how long it was, so I always felt like I was scamming the system. Thing is... I became a voracious reader (either because of or in spite of the program, I dont know) so they sure showed me!

Didn't have a TV til mom remarried my senior year of HS only time I saw television was at a friends or school. I too became a voracious reader, I 'm still one of the top 10 all time at my hometown public library:D

Pickup trucks with full gunracks were a common sight at my highschool, nobody gave them a second thought. As long as nobody was shooting, nobody cared; and everybody knew that if you took a shot in town, you'd get in trouble. That was all it took to dissuade us from doing so. Honestly, I doubt anybody with a gun on the rack in the truck on school grounds EVER thought about shooting a person; but if they did, they didn't cuz they knew what the cosequences would be. Again, that was enough to dissuade us from doing so. The world has become quite an insane place since then, though I'm sure my parents thought the same thing when they were my age; I think every generation does to some extent.
Regards, GF.

Rifles, shotguns, pistols, bows, arrows, camping and fishing gear were virtually "vehicular accessories" growing up. Nobody questioned what you had but they knew what season it was by your accessories.

And another thing - I fondly remember deer season in the Mid-West and counting the deer ON the vehicles returning home from successful hunts. As little kids going to visit family that was one of our favorite passtimes, that and counting out of state plates. I was a proud young man when I got to put my deer on my first car and bring it home.

This came up at work today. I haven't seen a military vehicle convoy (stateside) in years. When I was a kid I remember seeing groups of military vehicles driving around. Sometimes 5-10 passing thru town, occasionally 50+ driving down the highway. I never lived what I would consider "near" a military installation, so its not like I saw them daily, but a few times/year.

I guess they outsourced or something, now about the only time I see a military vehicle, its strapped to the top of a flat bed truck

And another thing - I fondly remember deer season in the Mid-West and counting the deer ON the vehicles returning home from successful hunts. As little kids going to visit family that was one of our favorite passtimes, that and counting out of state plates. I was a proud young man when I got to put my deer on my first car and bring it home.

I remember my 1st deer, a mulie down in NM. I was 17 & felt quite manly that day. Which reminds me: remember when hunting was easy? I mean you went & got your lic & then went hunting, that was it. No special fees for this or that, no restricted areas except for wilderness areas & some national parks.
We respected private property & 99% of the time, if you knocked on a farmhouse door & asked permission to hunt on their land, they said yes; and sometimes they'd even invite you to lunch! The deer seemed bigger then too.
Regards, GF.

This came up at work today. I haven't seen a military vehicle convoy (stateside) in years. When I was a kid I remember seeing groups of military vehicles driving around. Sometimes 5-10 passing thru town, occasionally 50+ driving down the highway. I never lived what I would consider "near" a military installation, so its not like I saw them daily, but a few times/year.

I guess they outsourced or something, now about the only time I see a military vehicle, its strapped to the top of a flat bed truck

Once in a while I'll see a small convoy of local guard vehicles heading down one of the freeways around here. Usually a few deuces, humvees or cutvees. But yeah, it's not like it was a few decades ago. I suppose a lot of that equipment has been deployed overseas--less of it running around here.

When I lived at home years ago,our house was on the flight pattern from Cleveland Hopkins & NASA. In the early 60's,saber jets roared in formation over our house heading West. Damn,those old ramjets were really loud! And they just got going fast enough to break the sound barrier over our house. Big sonic booms shook everything.

When I lived at home years ago,our house was on the flight pattern from Cleveland Hopkins & NASA. In the early 60's,saber jets roared in formation over our house heading West. Damn,those old ramjets were really loud! And they just got going fast enough to break the sound barrier over our house. Big sonic booms shook everything.

I remember fishing the Au Sable River up around Oscoda and the big B-52s Bombers taking off and landing the very air shook around us sometimes.

Once in a while I'll see a small convoy of local guard vehicles heading down one of the freeways around here. Usually a few deuces, humvees or cutvees. But yeah, it's not like it was a few decades ago. I suppose a lot of that equipment has been deployed overseas--less of it running around here.

I remeber those too, we used to wave at the soldiers. With JBER (Elmendorf Richardson) so close by we get to see some small convoys every couple of months.

Remember when remember when threads where in Morse Code and you had to take the trolley to the ticker tape reader to have that heavily mustachioed man read them to you because you and most everyone you knew were illiterate?

Back